disable the 'hold down power button' to shutdown server featur

ceez

hey everyone. We have a problem in a remote office where users feel free to 'reboot' a server when they think the network is 'running slow' instead of first rebooting their machines that has been on for days and working on AutoCAD and other cpu intensive applications.

I know about the power setting of "what to do when I press the power button" which is currently set to "do nothing", but what about a power button hold down for 5-10 seconds? I know they could easily go around and pull the power cable, but it would probably deter them a little bit and have them contact us before they do any harm to the server.

I dont seem to find anything via google other than the power scheme setting.

any help would be appreciated :thumbsup

ceez

Generally, that is a BIOS setting, not a Windows setting. There is a setting in windows for what to do if the button is pressed, but the 4 or 5 second thing is a BIOS-level catch, not a Windows setting.

Firstly - tell them *NOT* to do this. If they don't know not to do it, they'll keep on doing it. Quote any relevant terms in your employment contracts, AUP, etc...

Secondly - if you can find out who is doing/sanctioning this - speak to them directly and explain the problems. If it happens again, deprive them of their mailbox for 24 hours and cite 'data corruption due to unclean shutdown' as the reason. That should make them think twice in future.