WGA get legit?

tb582

I have, in fact, done it. It works - you get a working key for your existing install, and after changing the key and reactivating with the tool provided, everything works. However, it's cheaper to buy a legit OEM version and reinstall, so if you need to keep the install, go for the online purchase. If you can reinstall, however, buy an OEM copy and reinstall.

Don't you think doing so will make microsoft want to "montior" those that purchase a key online a bit more?

If you buy the OEM version you have to reinstall? you cant just enter the key in?

Edited by tb582

I ran it, nothing happened. I have a legit serial key on my XP. Funny WGA doesn't exist for the x64 version though.

Anyway I removed it because I won't allow Microsoft to check my computer details... I don't like people breaching privacy.

Not unless your current version is already retail OEM - and most pirated copies are corp VLK pirated.

Just to add that it *should* be possible to run a repair install rather than a full reinstall which will at least save all of your documents/settings etc. I've used this method to go from VLK to OEM and vice versa.

if you want to install windows update and don't want to deal with the hassle of WGA on Microsoft web's sit a good tool to use is AutoPatcher it is legit(for the most part, they state Microsoft knows about) it just give you the option to install WGA or any update for that matter. I like it for loading new systems that come into work. I don't have to worry about bogging down my network with downloading updates. I can just download one file(200mb+) after hours sometime once a month or so, depending on when they have a new revision out, and just run it like another install on a system. I'm a big fan of this tool because it saves me time.

• 2 weeks later...