Request: Tweak Functions

merddyin

In addition to the already provided tweaks, which I must say are an excellant sampling, what about adding a section of the wizard that allows us to add our own teaks via registry entries?

We make a number of changes to the base system beyond the tweaks provided such as setting page file size, and creation of several custom registry keys to stamp the registry with build information and it would be helpful to be able to simply add these as additional tweaks.

If I have missed this function within the current version of the app, please forgive me as I am realitvely new to much of this. :blushing:

Merddyin

Another request---this will decrease ram usage

Start>Run>Regedit

Find the key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon

Its current value will be "%1" (minus the quotes). Change it to the following:

%SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll,-153

and exit Regedit. Now use the TweakUI program to clear the icon cache. It's the bottom menu item (Repair), and then select "Rebuild Icons" and click the "Repair Now" button. You can also clear the icon cache by deleting the ICONCACHE.DB file located in the

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data

directory. You may need to stop EXPLORER.EXE to do this. Once the icon cache is cleared, reboot, and you should notice that Explorer is using somewhere between 5-15MB less RAM, depending on your system.

This may not appeal to you, but you can save an additional 5MB of RAM, and dramatically improve the performance of your system, by changing your display color quality to 16-bit. This option can be found in the Display applet of Control Panel from the Settings tab. If you decide to do this, you'll need to clear the icon cache once the new setting is in effect, so it would make sense to do it before doing the above.

Can this be done automatically in nlite?

merddyin, I might add that but then it would be one level harder to detect bugs when reported.

dirtwarrior, little excessive but interesting. I'll review it, thx.

Start>Run>Regedit

That's an interesting tweak, but why want you to use a script icon, wouldn't be more logical to use normal EXE icon instead?

Start>Run>Regedit

That's an interesting tweak, but why want you to use a script icon, wouldn't be more logical to use normal EXE icon instead?

I dont know how to do it. I have been doing it manually so fat with good effect. It would be nice it it could be done automatically.

Well, I mean to refer to standard executable file type icon instead of command script icon, such as:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
@="%SystemRoot%\\System32\\shell32.dll,-3"

@nuhi regarding merddyin's suggestion:

The pagefile setting is a great idea, user selectable as either a fixed size or depending on RAM (like 1.5xRAM). Then some of us would need one script less to add and others may no longer have to do it manually after the installation.

Adding registry keys on the other hand is simple enough already and should be a low-priority task.

Regarding dirtwarrior's second suggestion:

Isn't it somewhat driver dependant and has to be set after the driver has been installed?

Setting his first one automatically is simple, as r3incarnat0r has already shown. Using the standard exe-icon looks better than using the script icon.