J2re-1_4_1_05 And Setup.iss

I have dl SUN-Java 1_4_1_05.

The unattended installation don't run with setup.iss.

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v6.00.000
File=Response File
[File Transfer]
OverwrittenReadOnly=NoToAll
[{78D082B3-ACEE-11D7-9D64-00010240CE95}-DlgOrder]
Dlg0={78D082B3-ACEE-11D7-9D64-00010240CE95}-SdLicense-0
Count=2
Dlg1={78D082B3-ACEE-11D7-9D64-00010240CE95}-SetupType-0
[{78D082B3-ACEE-11D7-9D64-00010240CE95}-SdLicense-0]
Result=1
[{78D082B3-ACEE-11D7-9D64-00010240CE95}-SetupType-0]
Result=301
[Application]
Name=Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.1_05
Version=1.4.1_05
Company=JavaSoft
Lang=0009

I tried setup -r and the usual method, but the installation crashes...(on 2 comp's)

What's wrong, has anybody a working file ?

Any suggestions ?

There is already a setup.iss in the package, but it is the same who is created by 'setup -r' and it don't work..

For information:

There are some security-leaks in previous versions of Sun-Java, not as many as in MSJava, but if you use an alternative browser, you should use this version.

Why not use 1.4.2_01? It silently installs just fine (I had to do a search on Sun's site for how to do it, but I found the info eventually). Here's how:

ECHO Installing Sun Java2 Runtime Environment 1.4.2_01...
start /wait %systemdrive%\Updates\j2re142_01.exe /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore,extra REBOOT=Suppress"

The extra is some sounds IIRC, so you can do just jrecore to get the basic functionality. You'll be wanting the 14.3MB install package for this. Another conveniant piece of info:

;No System Tray Icon for Java VM
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Plug-in\1.4.2_01]
"HideSystemTrayIcon"=dword:00000001

Frankly, I don't know why people still use the MS JavaVM. It's so outdated it's sick. Based of the 1.1.x core. Half the reason for why Java is broken for so many people or runs like crap is because they're using a VM that's so horribly out of date. Sun's JVM has come a LONG way and works extremely well at this point. And Sun's has more security holes? You're joking, right? Please tell me you were only kidding.

Just because MS doesn't update their VM anymore doesn't mean it's no longer full of holes...

Different strokes for different folks: I'm sure Sun Java is better, and I would love to use it, but what makes ME sick is finding the files it writes all over the system .somethingorother, and tracers, not to mention the stupid little icon in the system tray. I looked all over thier site, too, and even after following their directions, I could not control half of those things. Perhaps later releases have improved, but I got so frustrated I just dropped it. (I will note those switches, just in case.)

not as many as in MSJava
Calm down! You mis-read...

Different strokes for different folks: I'm sure Sun Java is better, and I would love to use it, but what makes ME sick is finding the files it writes all over the system .somethingorother, and tracers, not to mention the stupid little icon in the system tray. I looked all over thier site, too, and even after following their directions, I could not control half of those things. Perhaps later releases have improved, but I got so frustrated I just dropped it. (I will note those switches, just in case.)
not as many as in MSJava
Calm down! You mis-read...

Just so you know, that registry entry I put in my post disables that tray icon :D. And yes, I did misread. Silly me :).

And glad to be of help, westi :rolleyes:.