(FIXED) During silent switchless IE7 installation KB929969 and KB93176

Grinsekatze

Ok 2nd try (after the first try of this topic seems to be gone):

Hi there,

I've some problems while creating an actual XP MCE2005 Setup DVD. Almost all updates are included now (together with .net 1.1 sp1, language pack, KB886903 and .net 2.0, language pack, KB917283, KB922770) expect KB934238 (because since now there doesn't exist a download), .net 3.0 (I have problems since that update with the installation of ur2: .Net 3.0 silent collided with MCE UR2 installation) and ie7 (se this post).

The problem is at the moment with some IE7 Hotfixes:

I made a silent setup with 7-Zip including IE7, KB929969, KB931768 and KB914440 and put it in HFSVCPACK. But when I check windows update after the installation (also tried after 2nd systemstart) WU shows me that KB929969 and KB931768 aren't installed right now.

When I do the installation a 2nd time everything works fine.

The installation routine from the ie7 package is the following (note that this is an AutoIt script):

;Microsoft Internet Explorer 7
Run("ie7cracked\update\update.exe /norestart /nobackup")
WinWait("Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1 Setup","Diesen Assistenten zur Installation des folgenden Softwareupdates verwenden",15)
ControlClick("Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1 Setup","Diesen Assistenten zur Installation des folgenden Softwareupdates verwenden","&Weiter >")
;
WinWait("Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1 Setup","Before installing Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1, please take a moment to validate your genuine Microsoft Windows installation. Validation assures that you are running an authentic and fully licensed copy of Windows.",15)
ControlClick("Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1 Setup","Before installing Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1, please take a moment to validate your genuine Microsoft Windows installation. Validation assures that you are running an authentic and fully licensed copy of Windows.","&Weiter >")
;
WinWait("Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1 Setup","Thank you for participating, validation is now complete.",15)
ControlClick("Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1 Setup","Thank you for participating, validation is now complete.","&Weiter >")
;
WinWait("Installations-Assistent für Softwareupdates","Fertigstellen des Assistenten")
ControlClick("Installations-Assistent für Softwareupdates","Fertigstellen des Assistenten","Fertig stellen")
;
RunWait("ie7cracked\update\xmllitesetup.exe /quiet /nobackup")
RunWait("ie7cracked\update\nlsdl.exe /quiet /nobackup")
RunWait("ie7cracked\update\idndl.exe /quiet /nobackup")
;
;Microsoft Internet Explorer 7: Vulnerability in Vector Markup Language
RunWait("IE7-KB929969-WindowsXP-x86-deu.exe /quiet")
;
;Microsoft Internet Explorer 7: Cumulative security update for MSIE7
RunWait("IE7-WindowsXP-KB931768-x86-deu.exe /quiet /norestart")
;
;Microsoft Internet Explorer 7: Network Diagnostic Tool
RunWait("WindowsXP-KB914440-v12-x86-DEU.exe /quiet /nobackup")
;
;
;Delete the uninstall shortcuts within add/remove programs
RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB914440")
RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ie7")
RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB929969")
RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB931768-IE7")

After some testing today I noticed that the missing two updates failed to install because they're thinking that IE6 is still the actual one. So that's also the reason why everything works fine during a 2nd installation (because at that moment IE7 is the actual one).

So I think I have to modify the registry in a way to let Windows think that after IE7 is installed (and no reboot is made) IE7 is the actual browser.

Can someone help me?

Edited by Grinsekatze

This isn't something we can help you with. HFSLIP, when using the default method for IE7 handling or when using the installation from SVCPACK (IE7SVCPACK=1) slipstreams the IE7 hotfixes into the main IE7 installer, or better: the main installer is expanded, the hotfixes are expanded, then the old binaries are overwritten and a new installer is created. That's why it works and why your installer doesn't.

I see. The problem is, that I can't handle it in another way (as mentioned in the hfslip guide).

But I've another Idea. Maybe I can put the two hotfixes in hfguirunonce and the main installer in hfsvcpack. I'll give it a try and report the result.

Edit:

Ok Now everything works fine. I made a silent-swtichless Installation of IE7 with Networkdiagnostic-tool (KB914440), put it into hfsvcpack and build another silent-switchless Installation of the two "missing" Updates (KB929969 and KB931768).

Edited by Grinsekatze