xp disconnects LAN users

xpphil

win98 use to warn on shutdown if there were other LAN users connected to your computer. Winxp just unceremoniously disconnects them and may leave files open.

any way to get this back. using mix of pro and home editions.

I suspected that, but I haven't tried because we use a backup program from one computer that backs up over the LAN with mapped network drives. I will investigate and experiment and see if I can get the classic type file sharing to work and see if that doesn't correct this issue. That is I believe we have the simple file sharing in place and need to go back to win98 type.

Actually, I think the home edition of simple file sharing may be the problem. Are you saying home edition should have that warning message? I'm thinking when they downgraded the home edition file sharing from the win98 classic type, this warning message was disabled.

I'm not at those computers to check it out.

Thanks

Edited by xpphil

I have a small network in my office, XP Home.

Don't know whether I have simple file sharing enabled or not?

Anyhow, I have never seen a (network sharing) warning message on shutdown in XP (Home), which I think stinks.

What I have done, & it is certainly not full proof, is to create a shortcut on my desktop to the Shared Folder MMC snapin, fsmgmt.msc. I check that should I know in advance that I'll need to reboot.

Also see here:

I want to be able to quickly create shares or manage shares from my desktop. How can I do that?