Want standard XP Start menu

bpowers61

:angry: I do desktop support for my company and I've got a bunch of machines that have been tweaked by a resident tweaker. This makes for a problem when a customer is on the phone and you're trying to guide them thru something and nothing looks like our corporate standard.

One of the tweaks I can't seem to untweak is to turn the standard XP Start Menu back on as the default.

The other annoyance is equally silly. When we open an Explorer window, the left panel is missing. For example, when you open "My Computer", that blue assistance panel on the left is missing and the devices are not grouped.

TIA

Each person when they first log on to a machine will have to make those changes. I want to make the change so that those settings are the default when a person first logs on to the machine.

Ah. Alright. In that case...

For the Start Menu:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserve...3.mspx?mfr=true

Others will have to wait as I'm quite busy right now... Do a search for "xp registry" (without the quotes) followed by "force classic explorer" and "force show groups" (again, without the quotes). Google should come up with a few useful results.

how about a thanks to gamehead200

he did a superb job, is answer is complete he even had pictures

just because you're angry at your tech for removing those UI atrocities and now it's running your canned answer sheet for your drones doesn't mean we're somehow responsible or that we owe it to you to help you

of course that tech probably left you and now you don't know how to rebuild his install cd or something and it's still faster than using an original or reading up on automated installs eh ?

I'm p***ed !!! argg ! ;)

I'm going to assume that you're in a domain and then say that if you truely want to standardize things across the board you need to start reading up on Group Policies.

Completely agree--In a domain environment you can easily control these thing with the GP.