Split Appended Wims across CDS anyone?

p4ntb0y

Ok I have to say the documentation for the API is very poor. I'm trying to determine whether the WIM_MSG_ALIGNMENT message will allow you to reattempt the application of a file. Its not really clear what the alignment call allows you to do, but perhaps if you are able to send a -1 or something like that it would be able to go back to the file that failed.

The other idea I have is to create a custom split function that would count the number of files in each .swm file before the WIM_MSG_SPLIT message is fired.

Turns out this is an issue that microsoft is aware about and I should be hearing back with some sort of solution. I have already created a cutom splitter to allow for different sizes (ex. 400mb on the first CD and 650 on the rest). I dont like the idea of counting the files within the splitter because applying the split files would rely on the custom splitter creating a file that says how many files each SWM holds. This means that split files created with imageX will not be compatible with the new applying program :(

Plus, the WIM_MSG_SPLIT message provides no way of knowing how many files where processed in that swm. It is only fired when one part has been created and holds this info:

wParam = (LPWSTR *) lplpszPartPath;

lParam = (LARGE_INTEGER *) pliPartSize;

Which does not help much. Hopefully I will hear back about this soon.

wow! you guys are making good progress sorry for my late delay!

Anyhows I am at the state now of adding split wim support in my VB Imagex GUI and reading some of the posts it should be a bit easier to implement.

As M$ can do it I am sure we should be able to do it.

I will post the code here as soon as I have a solution as long as you like vb6 :-)

Bad news....Microsoft said to copy all of the split wims onto my target device and apply them from there. I am about finished with a utility that does the process automatically, but i would rather do it the right way, and apply directly from disk and wait between disks. Hopefully they release a solution in the near future.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is another thing about ImageX for all of those who are interested:

"Although the ImageX.exe tool may appear to be a mechanism to create an image of a computer for backup, there are several issues that prevent using the ImageX.exe tool as a supported backup mechanism.

The following are the issues when you use the ImageX.exe tool as a backup mechanism: • Extended attributes are lost.

• The ImageX.exe tool only applies reparse points that are symbolic links or junctions.

• Sparse files on the system are captured and applied. However, the sparse files are no longer sparse after they have been applied.

• Object IDs on files are lost in the capture process or in the apply process."

You can read the full article here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935467

EDIT:

If anyone is interested in a method of scanning the hard drive for these NTFS features feel free to give me a PM

Edited by kickenchicken57