XP, 95 Peer-to-peer network and ICS

musicman__

I've successfully set up a peer-to-peer network between my home PC (WinXP) and my laptop (Win95). The only problem is, I can't get Internet Connection Sharing to work at all. I tried running the Network setup Wizard on the laptop, but it can only be run in Win98 or later.

I've read through most of the posts here, and still couldn't figure it out. I am using ADSL as my internet service (internal modem) and the computers are networked together through 2 D-Link network cards. I also had to install NetBEUI to be able to "see" the XP computer in Win95 Network Neighborhood.

So, is there some way I can manually change the settings of these computers so that I can use ICS?

Musicman__

musicman__@hotmail.com

an alternative idea, use a router? Or try this site,

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

try a proxy server, if all else fails. I networked a 2K machine and a 95 machine for a buddy with this. It worked like a alligator in a farting contest!

Its simple to use and configure.

Basically,

you have 2 nics in your desktop, you get a crossover cable, not a patch cable. It has to be a crossover, I picked up a 50ft crossover cable from ebay for 8 bucks.

Then you install and run proxy server from the download on that link I gave above.

Setup your TCP/IP for your second nic in your desktop, the one that is going out to the laptop. use 10.0.0.1 for your desktop, default subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 then you go to your latop and click on control panel, networking, click the adapter of your NIC for your laptop and set it up exactly the same except for the IP, it must be 10.0.0.2 or anything but 1 same subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Now you restart your laptop, and go into your IE explorer, tools, internet options, connections, lan settings, and take the check off of automatic and click the check by proxy, and insert your IP for your HOST PC 10.0.0.1 in the example above, and port of 6588. Very simple, make sure your desktop is running and has Proxy serve program on, and your laptop will share internet access!

THE proxy server program has the readme with exactly what I typed above!

Well, I'd love to just say "Thanks it worked great" but unfortunatley that's not the case.

I have both systems using TCP/IP for the LAN, with addresses 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0

IE on Win95 is set to use Proxy server 10.0.0.1 at port 6588 and that little "Proxy" utility is running in the background of XP.

I ran through the Home Networking Wizard in XP and now there is a new section in network settings: "Network Bridge" which actually contains the TCP/IP and NetBEUI that I need to run my network, and the Bridge is bound to LAN Connection 2 hardware.

Now, at the same time, possibly unrelated, is the fact that I have to use both TCP/IP and IPX/SPX on my '95 laptop to get the LAN to work, without ICS.

Could it be that XP might not want to share its internet connection?

Thanks so far,

Musicman__

Alright, here's a new message. Just out of sheer curiosity, I deleted the network bridge mentioned before and the LAN still works, but when I load IE on the 95 machine the message it gives is:

"... the protocol specified is not correct..." or something to that effect.

maybe that helps, maybe not :)

Musicman__

try to ping the machines from both. If you get a request time out, its the cable or some other wierd phenomenon. If ping sends out the data and recovers, then its the configuration of your Proxy. Make sure you have a CROSSOVER CABLE, not a regular CAT5 ethernet cable, this will only work with a crossover cable, i tried it with a patch/cat 5 cable and it will not work.

tell me the results of your ping, and I might be able to help you further,

Big Booger

THIS MUST BE THE INTERNET EXPLORER CONFIGURATION ERROR THEN, because the machines see each other. DOUBLE, triple check the LAN SETTINGS YOU USED IN THE 95 MACHINE. Make sure you configured it with the IP ADDRESS OF YOUR HOST (XP machines) secondary NIC, the one not connected to your ADSL MODEM. SECOND MAKE SURE THE PORT SETTING IS CORRECT. 6588 I think is what is should be.

----OR----

A the machines see each other bidirectionally,

B. Something is screwy with the configuration of your IE.

C. You need to upgrade the 95 machine to 98 or greater.

-------But let me make sure of a few things-------

A. What IP PROXY address did you use in the WINDOWS 95 Machines Internet Explorer?

B. What was the port setting?

C. Did you uncheck the AUTOMATIC SETTINGS in IE (windows 95) under the tools, options connections LAN tab?

D. Are you using A CROSSOVER CABLE? THis is very imporant as I have stated before, if you are trying to use Proxy server, with a regular CAT5 or PAtch cable, it will never work!!!! MAKE SURE ITS A CROSSOVER CABLE.

E. Are you running windows XP with the PROXY server program running?

F. DId you shut off XP's built in firewall? If not tell me and I will direct you how.

G. Did you enable connection sharing in XP? IF not do it!!!!

After you respond with this and all seems right I will be working on an alternative measure.

Big Booger:WTF?:

Great! I got it working. When I set up IE on the 95 machine it defaults to protocol 80 for some reason.

After changing it to 6588, it seems to work OK. Thanks again!

However, the Net loads rather slowly on the 95 machine, even tho I am on ADSL. Might this be because it's a slower computer and can't process the graphics as fast?

Glad to see that you got that puppy pumpin those 0's and 1's. I have to say the reason it loads slowly IS because its a slower machine, though you can defrag it, add more ram, update all the soft, and that might help. Why don't you put ME or 2K or 98se on that machine? I mean it would sure be the 95 which is being phazed out rather soon.

Big Booger

No can do. The machine is so old, my upgrade to win98 won't even run. :)

No worries, I don't plan on having this laptop for a really long time anyways... as long as it works, that's OK. I'll probably get a newer one down the line.