MSN Explorer closes abruptly

milomannn

Hi to everyone. I have just joined this forum hoping to research a problem I am having.

I usually sign onto the internet through an MSN account. I can be successfully moving around to different sites when I click on a link and the explorer window abruptly closes. I then go to sign in again and it lets me. I get thrown out of internet explorer at least once each session.

Any suggestions as to how to solve this glitch?

Do you receive an error message of some sort? Does MSN explorer only close when you visit a certain site? Go to control panel->go into administrative tools->open up the event viewer->click the application selection. Are there any lines with a red stop sign on them? If so, double click them and post the information that's in the text box.

Does it also happen when you use another browser (Firefox or Maxthon)?

Maybe your PC is infected with a malicious code. Have you tried to scan it with SPY B&D? AD-aware etc...?

Do you receive an error message of some sort? Does MSN explorer only close when you visit a certain site? Go to control panel->go into administrative tools->open up the event viewer->click the application selection. Are there any lines with a red stop sign on them? If so, double click them and post the information that's in the text box.

I looked back in the application event log and found several red stop signs that read:

"Hanging application msn.exe, version 9.0.13.2101, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000."

Another:

"Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module nump4splitter.ax.version 4.9.4.1, fault address 0x0002a65b."

Another:

"Faulting application wmplayer.exe, version 11.0.5705.5043, faulting module nemp4splitter.ax, version 4.9.4.1, fault address 0x0002a65b."

Another:

"Fault bucket 398768694."

The last two were repeated for several events. But there seeems very few of these red stop events when I compare them to the number of times I get thrown out of the internet. When it happens, I don't get and error message at all.

There were also quite a few yellow triangle warning events listed that said:

"Windows saved user DB2K5K91\Ardyce registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account. try confinuring the services to run in either the LocalService or Network Service account."

Also to answer the other questions. If i switch to using Internet Explorer directly and don't go through MSN portal, it doesn't happen. I don't have any other brower on my machine.

Any clue?

Does it also happen when you use another browser (Firefox or Maxthon)?

Maybe your PC is infected with a malicious code. Have you tried to scan it with SPY B&D? AD-aware etc...?

Sorry but forgot to say that I use Norton antivirus 2006, Spy Sweeper and Ad-Aware SE personal.

Thanks.

Sorry but forgot to say that I use Norton antivirus 2006, Spy Sweeper and Ad-Aware SE personal.

Thanks.

Well, first step would be getting rid of Norton. Either get Avast or AVG (both free) or NOD32 or Kaspersky (payware) to replace Norton and come back here if you face the same issue ;)

Thought I would add this information to what I posted earlier because I just got thrown off the internet again but this time when I clicked on a link I got an error message after explorer closed. It read:

MSN.exe - Application error

The exception Single Step

A single step or trace operation has just been completed. (0x80000004) occurred in the application at location 0x001ea6a6.

What does this all mean?

Thanks.

The 80000004 error means that the application was logging debug tracing at the time it threw the error (and probably because of the error) at that particular memory address. Have you considered using msconfig or autoruns to disable all non-Microsoft startup items and services and retry?