Windows Vista reads as 3 GIG only

Vista 32-bit has a maximum memory space of 4GB. The memory space includes not just your RAM, but also your I/O addressing space, ROMs, and Mapped Video Memory. As a result the usable amount of RAM on a 32-bit system is 3GB, regardless of whether or not you have more installed.

To use a larger amount of RAM, you have to be using a 64-bit computer system and would need to install Windows Vista 64-bit.

Uhh... thanks. I thought Windows Vista was meant to support over 8 GIGS of RAM... WTF. I'm sick of using 64 bit OS and I'm currently using Windows Vista 32 bit edition and yet it can't read over 3 GIGS. So much for new technology that doesn't work properly.

Uhh... thanks. I thought Windows Vista was meant to support over 8 GIGS of RAM... WTF. I'm sick of using 64 bit OS and I'm currently using Windows Vista 32 bit edition and yet it can't read over 3 GIGS. So much for new technology that doesn't work properly.

No 32-bit operating system can read more then 4GB of memory addressing space. This has always been and always will be. If you wanted to address the full 4GB in your system, you should have done more research before choosing your Vista edition.

The frequency of these posts leads me to believe we need to sticky this topic in a few places. This is getting frustrating.

A 12 foot sign that says "If you have 4GB of RAM, READ THIS!".

I am very glad I have read this thread. I am planning on building a new pc and was going to go with 4GB, but not now. :thumbup:

There's nothing wrong with 4GB of ram, in fact, for my next system, I'm going to go with 8GB of ram. The only thing is that you need to make sure that your hardware and software are all capable of 64-bit memory addressing. It's a simple requirement that's easy to fill.

Even if I am running Vista Business 32 bit?

I don't think you read my post properly. Both hardware and SOFTWARE must be 64-bit, that would mean that Vista Business 32-bit will not address more then 4GB of ram and you will run into the issue mentioned in this thread.

Thats what I was thinking. I'll just stick with 32bit and 2GB that I have now. For a while anyway. 64 bit is still kinda new from what I have heard and drivers are not 100% ready for all hardware. I'll leave it at that, not trying to hijack anyone's thread, lol. Thanks jcarle. :)

Thats what I was thinking. I'll just stick with 32bit and 2GB that I have now. For a while anyway. 64 bit is still kinda new from what I have heard and drivers are not 100% ready for all hardware. I'll leave it at that, not trying to hijack anyone's thread, lol. Thanks jcarle. :)

Things have gotten a lot better then they used to be. 64-bit support has gotten a lot more stable, and the technology isn't as new as people think it is. It's been implemented in Windows Server long before it came to the desktop.

Another point to mention - you can indeed use 4GB of RAM with a 32bit OS and use almost all of it, but you generally have to have older hardware (that lacks PCI-E or PCI-X, have an older video card, and make sure the BIOS is fairly generic). Otherwise, yes, you'll need a 64bit OS. Note that the additional memory that Windows "can't see" does actually get used by your devices, and memory shadowing is generally a good thing - you just can't use it with your applications or OS.

If you do some research and make sure your hardware has certified drivers for x64, your OS will indeed be stable. If you have apps that won't run on x64, you'll be stuck in 32bit land - but for the resto of us, x64 is the way of the future on the desktop :).

Well, my new pc will be a custom build with a new pci-e/x slot on a newer mobo that most likely will be 64bit ready. I only regret buying a 32bit Vista when I should have gotten the 64bit now. Oh well, you learn from experience. Thank you. :hello:

Edited by accessdenied042