Internet is not working while still having connection

avart

My internet is not working even though I'm still connected. After re-starting the computer, internet starts to work for about 10min and then it stops again; however, everything else works fine. I know that it's not ISP fault because my other computer works stays connected. My theory is something is wrong with one of the drivers because when I start the computer I get an option to go to Windows XP Setup or Windows XP Home Edition and if I choose Setup I get this message:

"Window could not start because the following file is missing or corupt:

<Windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll

please re-instal a copy of the above file"

However, if I choose Windows XP Home Edition then it starts windows and my internet works for 10 min and then stops.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thank.

Please explain what you mean by "not working" - can you browse to websites? Can you ping hosts by name? Can you ping hosts by IP address? If you do a pathping or tracert to IP addresses on the internet that you should be able to get to, do you get any errors? We need more information - "not working" is too vague for us to help at the moment. If you can answer these questions, we might be able to assist.

The hal.dll file is a way for the OS to talk to the hardware.

To add to that...

The HAL stands for the Hardware Abstraction Layer. It acts as an intermediate between the operating system and the hardware. This allows the same code to function on a multitude of different hardware since the software doesn't see a difference.