[Need Help!] 7Zip Silent Switchless Installer

Antrix

Hello friends, i'm posting this after a lot of search and trial regarding a 7-zip archived installation.

I've searched through all the 7Zip related threads but i could not find a way to make a 7-zip archive into a silent installation.

I made a 7 zip archive and successfully integrated a config.txt. and converted it into a sfx archive.

But the problem is that everytime i double-click the sfx it asks me where I want to extract the files. But I want it to extract the files to any temp folder and automatically execute the setup file along with arguments.

Please guys help me out coz i've tried whatever i could get my hands on and i'm out of options.

Regards,

Antrix.

what .sfx module did you use? There are 2 possibilities, one being for the regular user controlled extraction and the other one especially for setups (7zS/SD.sfx). The installer type modules support the "-y" switch to silently extract and run the setup. For totally silent/switchless operation, you will need customized modules. 7-zip does has no such modules included it's distribution at the moment.

There are already some topics on MSFN about totally silent 7-zip self-extractors, use the search, please.

Edit: have to correct myself here, the default 7zS/SD.sfx should do. It just depends on your config.txt then:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
Title="7-Zip 4.00"
BeginPrompt="Do you want to install the 7-Zip 4.00?"
RunProgram="setup.exe"
;!@InstallEnd@!

this one shows the Yes/No question on startup and the unpacking progress.

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
Title="7-Zip 4.00"
Progress="no"
RunProgram="setup.exe"
;!@InstallEnd@!

This one neither shows a question on startup nor the progress.

Edited by bj-kaiser

Thank you very much bj-kaiser, I was baffling with the 7z.sfx instead of 7zS.sfx. Now my installers are working just as i wanted.

Thanx ricktendo64 for the useful tip, i would consider this option as well.

Thanx a lot guys!

• 1 month later...

Hello !

i am using the latest 7zip version, and it seems your instructions are not working :unsure:

1. createurSFX does not detect the executable i would like to launch (in my 7z archive)

2. using the config UTF-8 file, i still get a prompt asking for where i should extract files.

can anyone help me ?

thank you very much rick ! that was fast :|

now i have another problem, how do i prevent my files from being deleted by the self-extracting archive ?

the sfx i created tries to delete a few files after extraction and successful run of the specified program, and i dont understand why.

i guess it tries to delete every file after the batch's execution, but only manages to delete those which are not in use by another process.

i though about killing the original sfx process with my batch file (launched program after extraction)

but is there a simpler way to do this ?