Network lan with 2 pc's

I have a dlink di524 router with 2 pc's hooked up. Both running xp pro, 1 is wireless and the other wired. Both have internet but I cant' share any files, printer and file sharing is on, I even used MS's "setup home or small office network" on both pc's but I still can't share the files. I would like to dump all of my files off of the wireless pc to do a reinstall as I have'nt done that in a while and I figure the registry is all hacked up. My OS is currently on a 20g pata hdd but I will put it on the 120g sata drive when I reinstall. I don't really want to transfer all the stuff to my sata drive then put it in the other pc and then transfer those files again to the other drive, but I could if I had to. I would rather do it thru the lan. I had a program called network magic that worked good untill the trial period expired. Any other programs out there like this, freeware preferably.

1st right click on the folder or drive you want to share - go to sharing and security and click share this folder.

Next go to my computer - tools pulldown then the view tab - go to the bottom and uncheck use simple file sharing. This will disable the guest account. You should only need to do this on the computer you are trying to access but you should do it on both just to be sure.

To access the other computer go to the run command and type in \\the other computer then hit enter. \\tells windows that you are going to connect to another computer. it will prompt you for a username and password for the remote machine. use the format remotecomputer\username.

This should work.

Thanks for trying, but nothing so far has helped. I keep getting a dialogue box saying either I don't have permission, which I know I do, or that it cannot find the other computer. PC 1 is named claysamd10 and the other is claysamd18, with the workgroup named "home" for both. If I remember right, the last time I attempted this was to connect both computers using a crossover cable. I didn't have a router at that time, I was hooking up xp pro and xp home and it worked fine. When I installed the wireless network card and router, I couldn't get windows to allow me to connect to the other pc at all. Thats when I found the program network magic that did it all for me. Could it be my router blocking this, if it is do you know how to configure the router to work. I am currently going to dlink to look for a forum for this. Thanks for trying.

• 2 weeks later...

The router is the DHCP server right? And both PC's are in the same workgroup? Do you have a firewall? If so, you need to add an exception to allow all traffic from whatever range internal IP address scheme you have. Most firewalls have a little wizard that will locate your internal lan and allow all traffic within it.

The router is the DHCP server right? And both PC's are in the same workgroup? Do you have a firewall? If so, you need to add an exception to allow all traffic from whatever range internal IP address scheme you have. Most firewalls have a little wizard that will locate your internal lan and allow all traffic within it.

but he only has to do that if he's going from outside his firewall to inside his firewall... if both computers exist inside the firewall, that's not necessary. the avg home firewall does not block internally routed traffic

Edited by rendrag

but he only has to do that if he's going from outside his firewall to inside his firewall... if both computers exist inside the firewall, that's not necessary. the avg home firewall does not block internally routed traffic

Oh, I actually meant software firewall on each system. I've only gone through 3 firewall software but they all semi-blocked internal traffic. But it was probably because I restricted my firewalls so much.

Edited by CptMurphy