How to recover files with odd security settings

Idontwantspam

No problem Idontwantspam, I guess my replies had been blocked by your 'spam' filters :P

And yes, you can set the username as any user. And no, the username can't be "Everyone".

"Everyone" is a group and chown doesn't support groups.

However, there is a more advanced utility from Microsoft, called Xcacls. Instructions on how to use it are over here.

To use the group "Everyone", just use the SID S-1-1-0. So with xcacls, the command might be something like this:

xcacls "foldername" /F /S /T /E /G SID#S-1-1-0:D

Edited by [deXter]

THANK YOU deXter!!!!!

(And yes those CAPS mean yelling - happy yelling!! :) :))

The XCACLS method appears to work. I tested on my XP MCE machine, and will try it on the said box that I originally talked about as soon as I get a chance. I will report back when I get a chance. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

You're great! :wub:

It appears that if I use deXter's method, I can change all of the file in a certain folder including all files in sub-folders. Unless I'm mistaken, but I think this is true. You are right that doing it with the Security tab you have to do all the files, but not with this method I don't think.

Ah ha!

So, I tried it with deXter's method, and for some odd reason, it didn't work. :unsure: Don't know why... It was giving me error messages, I think because there was NO owner set. As I said, these files were totally screwy. They were driving me nuts! :crazy: Weird. Anyhow, I did discover that Safe Mode With Networking works, so from there I was able to access the Security tab and use it. deXter, I love your method, but it didn't seem to work. Odd, I know, because it worked fine for me on other computers. Thanks anyway; I will use it elsewhere, I'm sure. Anyhow, not sure quite why normal safe mode doesn't work; that still has me perplexed. Thanks again everyone!

What errors are you getting, exactly?

Did you try it without the /E switch? if you remove /E, it'll replace the whole ACL instead of editing it. It should clear up all the ACL mess the files are in.

Also, did you try the SID S-1-5-32-544 ? This is the SID of the Admin group, so any user who's in the admin group will get the ownership to the files. You can also use the SID S-1-5-32-547 for power users and S-1-5-32-545 for normal users.

If all the above fail, you can also try SetACL to do it too :)

SetACL -on "name-or-path-of-ur-folder" -ot file -actn setprot -op "dacl:np;sacl:nc" -rec cont_obj -actn setowner -ownr "n:S-1-5-32-544;s:y"

This command resets a whole directory tree and sets the owner of all files and directories to the group 'administrators' :)

I don't remember and can't check now. When I try again, I will reply here again with exactly what was wrong. I think - but could be wrong - that it said error code 5, but I'm not sure. I'll try removing the /E switch. Thanks again, you're a genius!