True Silent Install ?

eddie11013

I'm new at this. I was able to create an nlite unattended install and it worked great. I created a slipstreamed CD with xp pro + Hot Fixes + 19 add-on's + tweaks etc. Just wanting to learn a little more for next time. So I'm looking for a little assistance. I have two programs that I would like to create add on’s for. I used the ‘cmenu’ program and it told me that they were using ‘Wise’ installers which require a Setup.exe /S switch. I used the ‘nlite addon maker’ and created the addons. My question is that when I used them in the virtual pc, it went to install them, but it asked to click next, next, next, etc. Not what I would call a true ‘silent’ install. Is there another command that I can include that will truly make it a silent install. Like “Setup.exe /S /whatever. I tried to figure out the autoit script stuff, but that is sooo far over my head. LOL

Printkey2000

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,...escription.html

FavOrg version 1.4

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Book...rs/favorg.shtml

Thanks in advance,

Eddie

Thanks Radix & Kiki, for the info. I had tried various combinations (/s, /S, /Silent, /qn), but none worked. I guess its just not meant to be. I had already seen most of those links, and they didn’t give me any additional insight.

Thanks any way, Radix & Kiki Burgh

Eddie

Thanks Radix & Kiki, for the info. I had tried various combinations (/s, /S, /Silent, /qn), but none worked. I guess its just not meant to be. I had already seen most of those links, and they didn’t give me any additional insight.

Thanks any way, Radix & Kiki Burgh

Eddie

Make a private request to an expert member in the autoit script forum.

Edited by radix

My question is that when I used them in the virtual pc, it went to install them, but it asked to click next, next, next, etc. Not what I would call a true ‘silent’ install. Is there another command that I can include that will truly make it a silent install. Like “Setup.exe /S /whatever. I tried to figure out the autoit script stuff, but that is sooo far over my head. LOL

CMenu was correct with identification. Even when you 1st start the install, you see a blue splash banner that has Wise stamped on it by both installers. If you selected Silent Install from Identify Installer menu, then it should silent install as SendToA3X has done here. Your use of /whatever switch seems a concern perhaps, but here is the AutoIt script solution to use on each of the installers shown below. :)

RunWait('"' & @ScriptDir & '\setup.exe" /S')

I do not know what you did wrong, but you did not do it right. Perhaps you got the quotes wrong or something. Both of your links do not work so I searched for them and got some lucky installers perhaps. ;)

Thanks for your assistance, MHz. Sorry the links didn’t work. The reference to “/whatever” , was not meant as a ‘switch’ but rather what “should” it be or what ‘additional‘ switch did I need to insert. When I used Cmenu, it I.D. the ‘silent’ installer as maybe: PrintKey2000 Setup.exe /s . Since that didn’t ‘completely’ work, I was looking for other options. I have used the nlite addon maker program to make some cab’s in the past and they have worked. But with these two I could not get them to “silently” install. They ‘would’ install, just not ‘silently’. Thus my inquiry. I really appreciate your efforts, however, as previously stated, the “Autoit” stuff is just way over my head.

Thank you anyway for going above and beyond,

Eddie

Thanks for the assist, Ver Greeneyes. But both of these programs are old. I know that this stuff is not a perfect world. As a for instance. My AdAware SE Personal program quit updating. It developed a recent bug. AdAware fixed it, so, of course I wanted to make a ‘cab’ for the new “.exe” (“aawsepersonal.exe”), for the 'next time'. I went to “wiki” ( http://www.uawiki.org/doku.php?id=silent_a...re_se_personal), it stated it was a ‘Wise’ installer and gave me the silent install of: aawsepersonal.exe /silent . When I used it in the virtual PC, there I was clicking “next, next, next, etc. Not a true ‘silent’ install. I then used the cmenu program and told it that it was a wise installer and it came back with: aawsepersonal.exe /s . I haven’t tried that one yet. And then there is the PEID thingy, that gives info as : Microsoft Visual C++6.0[Overlay], whatever that means.

Anyway, I'm just not that knowledgeable, so I'll leave to you experts to fix these kind of things.

Thanks again for the assist,

Eddie

Thanks for your assistance, MHz. Sorry the links didn’t work. The reference to “/whatever” , was not meant as a ‘switch’ but rather what “should” it be or what ‘additional‘ switch did I need to insert. When I used Cmenu, it I.D. the ‘silent’ installer as maybe: PrintKey2000 Setup.exe /s . Since that didn’t ‘completely’ work, I was looking for other options. I have used the nlite addon maker program to make some cab’s in the past and they have worked. But with these two I could not get them to “silently” install. They ‘would’ install, just not ‘silently’. Thus my inquiry. I really appreciate your efforts, however, as previously stated, the “Autoit” stuff is just way over my head.

Thank you anyway for going above and beyond,

Eddie

well i just downloaded Printkey 2000 and installed it silently using Setup.exe /S not /s make sure and check what it says in cMenu or SendToA3X uppercase and lowercase do matter when it comes to switches :rolleyes:

Thanks for your assistance, MHz. Sorry the links didn’t work. The reference to “/whatever†, was not meant as a ‘switch’ but rather what “should†it be or what ‘additional‘ switch did I need to insert. When I used Cmenu, it I.D. the ‘silent’ installer as maybe: PrintKey2000 Setup.exe /s .

Don't worry too much about the links as I can Google when needed. urie is correct about the case of the characters as NSIS is case sensitive with it's switches, so uppercase is definitely needed. Identify Installer mentions about the case sensitive issue with NSIS (Nullsoft).

:)

Edit:

Oops, it is a Wise Installer, overlooked that. This should work "PrintKey2000 Setup.exe" /s. Notice /s is outside of the double quotes. If you had it inside then it may not work silent.

Edited by MHz

While these various ways did work in the sense that they would install, during the T-13 time frame, they don’t install “unattended”. Which is what I am going for. So, if I used the word “silent” incorrectly here, I apologize.

For the record, I have the following “19” programs that install “unattended & silently” : Adobe Flash Player 9.0.28, Adobe Flash Installer, Adobe Reader 7.0.9 lite, AVG 7.5.463, cCleaner 1.39.502, Deep Burner Free 1.8, ImgBurn 2.3.2, Java 6 update 1, Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 2007, PopPeeper, Spybot 1.4, Spyware Blaster, Tiny Spell 1.5.012, UPHclean, Weather Watcher 5.6.22, Windows Defender, WMP 11.0.5721, XnView 1.90.3, XP-Anti Spy 3.96.4

The only one that “I” actually made, AND, that worked, was the one for “PopPeeper”, which ‘CMENU’, v2.6, identified as “Nullsoft” with a silent install of: Setup.exe /S . I used the Nlite addon maker, v1.2.4.2006, with the 7-zip, v4.42 & Izarc, v3.7. I created my iso using Nlite 1.3.04 & used the Virtual Box PC, v1.3.6 to test.

Since I had three programs that I was interested in, I tried each “set” at the same time, making a different “ISO“ each time. According to ‘Cmenu’, they were all “WISE” installations. This is what I tried as ‘unattended silent‘ installers:

For Adaware SE Personal:

aawsepersonal.exe /silent

Setup.exe /S

“aawsepersonal.exe” /S -- This gave a 7-zip config failed error

aawsepersonal.exe /s

Printkey2000 Setup.exe & Fav Icon’s Setup.exe : same basic setup’s as above with obvious ‘necessary’ changes: ( Fav Icon's Setup.exe /s )

PrintKey2000 Setup.exe /s

“PrintKey2000 Setup.exe” /s -- This gave a 7-zip config failed error

PrintKey2000 Setup.exe /S

Setup.exe /S

The “USSF” switch finder suggested an alternate, -- /x “x:\dirname” -- but when I tried that I got one of those 7-zip config failed error’s.

I appreciate everyone’s input and suggestions, but sometimes, I guess, its just not meant to be. In addition, I would like to note that before I found Nlite, it would take me about 7 hours to reformat. Installing Windows XP Pro SP1 + SP2 + Windows Updates + All my programs + All my music + setting everything back the way I wanted it. This whole process now takes less then 2 & one-half hours. I know some people here do it a lot faster, but for me, this is great.

Thanks again,

Eddie

PS: Sorry for the long post

I'm not a nLite addons experienced, but if you remove the space from the path to the files and have no spaces in the filename, then you do not need the double quotes. For the 7Zip, you just need no spaces in the filename and the easiest way is to replace spaces with underscore characters. So a 7Zip config.txt would look like the below code.

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="PrintKey2000_Setup.exe /s"
;!@InstallEnd@!

This thread below may have some good tips.

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t39048.html

:)

Eddie,

I'm not familiar with using the Nlite addon maker, but for Ad-Aware, if you're interested and adventurous, you could try the AutoIt script I just posted over at "AutoIT Script Collection"

Instructions are there for you to extract the msi installer from aawsepersonal.exe and the script will create an unattended installer with custom directories and updated defs.

The unattended installer does not require switches (it's built-in).

I never tried this installer during the T-13 time frame though, so I'm not sure how it will perform as an addon. The msi installer may need more tweaks to allow svcpack installation.

Beeker