Localhost - upload latency?

Chozo4

*************ISSUE RESOLVED*************

Seems running both the client & server on the same PC causes a form of CPU/Process fighting regardless how little CPU the server/client uses. Issue is resolved through setting the server's process priority higher than normal such as high or realtime.

I had hit this brick in the road once before in the past and thought nothing of it - however, it now hits me again.

Situation:

Lets say I'm hosting a teamspeak server on my PC.

Now lets say I wanted to connect to the server using either 127.0.0.1/localhost/(insert IP here)

It will connect fine.

... here is the brick in the way:

I connect fine but there is severe upload latency when connecting to it. I can hear all the speech received fine , no issue whatsoever - untill it comes to speaking myself. Then poeple complain either I'm breaking up significantly or because of my connecting everything in general is breaking up.

Second instance of it happening:

I've been getting into playing Unreal Tournament 2003 lately and seeing as there were no invasion servers up - I decide to host my own. Now rather than have to be there 24/7 I would host it dedicated and connect/join when I felt like it.

Now when I connect to it through localhost everything I receive is smooth and clear. No 'game lag'/'graphic lag' or anything (running full framerate & no oddities). Even with no players and just some bots. Everything is smooth untill I actually try to move. Then I keep 'warping back' as if the server isn't really getting any of my data sent to it (mind you this is localhost showing significant connection 'lag') or very little to none. I will move.. eventually, but it often just doesn't happen very well while updating my position or actions. Lo and behold though, when I take damage or watch others actions (or even use spectator mode to just watch) everything is fine as the client is mainly just receiving and not sending. Since I have only one main PC I've been stuck with not even putting up a dedicated because of this latency issue.

.. also to note: the ingame latency for myself starts at about 34ms then scales to around 140ms (TO MYSELF!). When anyone connects they have no noticable 'lag' at all and plays fine for them. Also plays fine if I try to connect to it using my older laptop. Only happens when connecting to the server on the same PC through localhost or any local IP.

So , anyone else experience this issue with heavy upload latency connecting to yourself? Also, anyone know of any way to fix this or am I pretty much stuck?

Edited by Chozo4

I think the issue has to do with your internet connection's upload speed. You're probably lagging because your can't upload yourself to your teammates fast enough, hence the latency.

If that was the case I would have the same issue connecting to my dedicated server using my laptop or any other pc, however there is no issue of that even with players connecting from the outside (which I'd tested using my neighbors pc). It only happens when connecting to myself through localhost on the same PC regardless if there is anyone on it or not (though of course I only get it connecting to myself locally).

The pc is more than powerful enough , it's just an issue connecting to myself with a client on the same PC as that running the server.

edit in: For the heck of it - I monitored my ping to myself over localhost. Not moving and letting 20+ bots 'have fun' I end up with a ping around 34ms, no problem. Once I start moving (uploading positional/activity data) my ping (to localhost) rises up to around 230ms and above. -.-'

edit #2:

Well, it seems my issue with the unreal2k3 dedicated is fixed. completely scrapped the whole config file and had it autocreat a new one. Somehow that completely fixed the localhost issue (strangely enough).

However, it seemingly doesn't fix the issue with teamspeak and such. Might be down to the software itself than just win98.

Apologies for anyone who could have been alarmed of a possible bug/issue by this. Just been trying to figure out what was wrong for the last 3 days and was getting rather tired/fed-up with the whole situation. :(

Edited by Chozo4

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty - I've figured out the true culprit for the issue :)

Seems running both the client & server on the same PC causes a form of CPU/Process fighting regardless how little CPU the server/client uses. Issue is resolved through setting the server's process priority higher than normal such as high or realtime.

Alrighty - I've figured out the true culprit for the issue :)

Go figure, good to know.