Win 98 upgrade to win 98 se

sadievan

I have Win 98 on an old laptop. I tried using my 98/SE OEM install CD and I get an error message that I cannot use this CD and must buy the Upgrade. I did rename 'win.com' to 'win.old' as suggested by Andromeda and it still doesn't work. Any suggestions. I need to upgrade so I can use a flash drive.

Thanks,

Carol

I really just wanted to do an upgrade if I could. I gave the laptop to my son quite a while ago. He has some stuff on it and I really didn't want to have to back up everything. What I really want the upgrade for, is to be able to use a USB flash drive on the computer.

Not knowing how the CD is set up but guessing that it's similar to 98, here's my guess: Navigate into the Win98SE folder and launch setup from there.

Flash drive should work with 98 though it's possible that the driver-writers crippled it (zero reason why any 32bit driver shouldn't work from 95 to XP). I've got one that's only supported back to 98SE and it works fine on 98.

Good luck!

Alexa,

Are you saying you installed a driver for a flash drive and it worked in 98 (not SE)? The flash drives I have do not have drivers with them. I wonder if I downloaded the generic nusb drivers if they would work.

Also, if I did have to install SE, using your suggestion (Navigate into the Win98SE folder and launch setup from there) would I still have to rename 'win.com' to 'win.old'?

Edited by sadievan

I have Win 98 on an old laptop. I tried using my 98/SE OEM install CD and I get an error message that I cannot use this CD and must buy the Upgrade. I did rename 'win.com' to 'win.old' as suggested by Andromeda and it still doesn't work. Any suggestions. I need to upgrade so I can use a flash drive.

What's the error message?

IIRC there are problems with OEM versions ...

BTW, two days ago I was able to upgrade my friend's PC from

Windows 98 to Windows 98SE by renaming the following files:

win.com -> win.ada
winver.exe -> winver.ada

http://www.thpc.info/dual/su0168.html

http://www.geocities.com/~budallen/suwin.html

I've also renamed the following files before starting setup

config.sys -> config.ada
autoexec.bat -> autoexec.ada

After setup I recommend to apply Autopatcher 98

(you have to manually select Native USB drivers)

Regards, Roman

Edited by modicr