Windows 98se Command.com

Vospers

I would like to remove the Copy command from the Interpreter, is this possible, if so how?

Is an Exe called by the Interpreter when the Copy command is issued, if so which one?

Thank you.

Edited by Vospers

Copy is an internal command. So the only way to remove it is to use an hexeditor to change command.com itself. Search for a list of internal commands DIR CALL CHCP ... When you rename copy here, or change it to lowercase, the command will be unavailable. I suppose you'll have to delete the external xcopy too.

I would like to remove the Copy command from the Interpreter, is this possible, if so how?

Is an Exe called by the Interpreter when the Copy command is issued, if so which one?

Thank you.

If you can hex-edit the command interpreter, you can change the four letters of "Copy" to any other four letters you like.

Don't make it longer or shorter than four letters though.

That's been done, even back in the Commodore 64 days, to confuse unwanted users.

I've done it myself, on many occasions.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)

EDIT:

I have not had a HEX Editor for years, but I just found a real nice FREE one here:

www.hhdsoftware.com/Products/home/hex-editor-free.html

Open Command.com in the editor and you will see the hex addresses in the left column and the ASCII text in the right column. Scroll down to hex address 00010b60.

You will find copy in that line represented by: 43 4f 50 59

Change those numbers and you will see the text in the right col. change too. Or, click your mouse on a letter,,,,change it by typing a new letter over it and you will see the numbers on the left side change accordingly.

After making the changes you want, save the file. COPY will no longer be recognized by the Command interpreter.

Good Luck

Edited by Andromeda43