MRxSmb error

cconk01

I currently am receiving an error on two domain controllers, both telling me they think they are the master browser and an election is going to be held. I have looked this up quite a bit.

MrxSmb Event 8003

Server 1 should in fact be my master browser and currently hold all the FSMO roles. Server 2 is a remote domain controller (GC) at a remote location on a completely different subnet correctly specified in the AD Sites and Services. I ran across a reg edit to set the value of server one to TRUE as the master browser but that didn't work out so well. It locked me out completely and i had to restore the old registry.

Its weird to me because only one of the remote DC's is currently doing this. I have a 3rd server at another location acting as a DC (GC) and i don't receive any problems from this server.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing what you think.

All DC's are Windows 2003 R2 SP2

Also all my links in ad sites and services are all automatically generated. I have messed around with these but always end up having AD Sites and Serices reset to the default.

Im really at a lost here...

Edited by cconk01

I ran across a reg edit to set the value of server one to TRUE as the master browser but that didn't work out so well. It locked me out completely and i had to restore the old registry.

While i don't have too much experience with Windows server, I know that this registry value (I believe you're talking about IsDomainMaster and/or MaintainServerList) changed behaviour with Server2003 (or SP1). Now it has a value AUTO and TRUE has a different meaning. Many tweak sites still mention the old behaviour, but I remember Microsoft had one KB article explaining this. I can't find it instantly, but I think you shold be able to.

Or, your issue might be something completely different.

GL

Making a registry change shouldn't corrupt your registry, regardless of the value you entered. This would indicate other problems with the registry that existed before the last reboot that worked - changing a registry key should not corrupt your registry, period. If it does, your registry was already corrupted, and it's the reboot that brings it to life (because, of course, you won't be able to boot).

Note that registry corruption is usually the fact that your hive has gotten too large, or a handle to the registry wasn't released by an application during shutdown or app closure - Windows won't corrupt your registry directly, only indirectly on boot (when your software or system hive is too large to load into memory).