Windows98SE and Hibernate

myelin

Windows 98 also had a habit of going into stand by and never coming out of it. I guess you could call ita coma. :) You would need to flip the master power switch (Or plug in and out the power cord from the wall outlet) to get it back running again.

That problem is known to occur if the following is true:

You have a Phillips 107S monitor and you use the monitor driver from Phillips. (It's fine with the Microsoft monitor driver)

You have all of the SDR SDRAM slots filled up on a Chaintech CT-7AJA2E motherboard. (Only confirmed on that motherboard)

That occurred when I had 3 128 MB SDR SDRAM modules.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 with 98SE2ME. The Toshiba hibernate utility works perfectly with it. It's a two part thing, after installing the utility you boot to a safe mode command prompt and CD\halloc.tos then run halloc /c to create the toshiber.dat file in c:\ (If the RAM size is changed, the halloc.exe program must be run again to recreate toshiber.dat.)

Reboot into Windows then click Hibernate on the Start Menu. The screen goes black then there's an animation of a laptop with the screen wiping over to a disk. Power is totally off and the laptop can be left that way indefinately.

If you have a spare box lying around, could you try installing the utility to see if it is hardware dependent or whether it works in software only? If this could be hacked to work independent of your Toshiba hardware it would make a valuable addon for anyone seeking to update Win9x....

--iWindoze