Does the "Num Lock - On" Tweak work for you ?

Martin H

Some days ago i installed Windows XP Pro. SP2 from an image i made with nLite. I haden't removed anything, but just made it unattended, tweaked and integrated Xable's High-Priority Update Pack. I am very happy with the result, but i'm wondering about a little thing, though. All the tweaks i enabled(or disabled) worked perfectly except one: The "Num Lock - On"(or enabled or something) tweak. When the setup was finished, then there was no light turned on for Num Lock on my keyboard. I rebooted and still it didn't turn on the light. Then i enabled it myself, and of course it's no problem to do that simple thing, but i was just querious about if i had misunderstood what the tweak was supposed to do or something ? Isn't that tweak just supposed to turn the light on for Num Lock when Windows is installed, so you don't have to press the "Num Lock" key yourself after a fresh install ? Also, is the "Num Lock" key normally turned on after a normal fresh install ?(i can't remember, but i think not and that's why i enabled the tweak). Also, that option only is about if Num Lock should be turned on or not upon first startup after installation right ? I mean if i had selected "Num Lock - Off", and then had enabled it anyway upon first boot, then would the light still be turned on when rebooting again ? Finally, if i understand the tweak right, then does it work for you guys ?

Thank's in advance.

Martin.

Sorry, but i just wanted to say that i actually didn't know that there was a BIOS setting for Num-Lock also and i have just checked and mine is set to "Off". Could one of you guys then please tell me if the nLite "Num-Lock - On" tweak then isn't just meant to enable Num-Lock for people that have NumLock disabled in their BIOS and the nLite "Num-Lock - Off" tweak is for turning Num-Lock off for people that have Num-Lock enabled in their BIOS ? I just want to make sure that i understand the option right. Also if i undertand the option right, then does it work for you guys when you set the tweak to "On" ? And then if you set it to "On" and then manually disabled it afterwards when Windows starts, then at next boot then it will still be off right ? (even though you set the tweak to "On" in nLite)

Thank's in advance.

Martin.

Hello again,

Lots of the tweaks seem to not work and you find yourself doing some things manually after an install. Sometimes some services which you set to disabled come out as automatic on first boot (tip - leave these alone and manually alter after installing).

I think that if you press Num Lock on and reboot, then windows remembers this and it comes on automatically thereafter. Copy the following (without begin and end) into Notepad and save it as NumLock.reg, then double-click or right-click, merge. This gives you control over which keys are switch on as you can see below. Hope this helps and I hope your unattended install went well too.

-begin-

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard]

"InitialKeyboardIndicators"="2"

-end-

0 - all indicators off

1 - Caps Lock on

2 - Num Lock on

4 - Scroll Lock on

3 - Caps Lock and Num Lock on

5 - Caps Lock and Scroll Lock on

6 - Num Lock and Scroll Lock on