Using INF file to create shortcuts anywhere

Note: This post assumes that you have a working knowledge of INF files, the ProfileItems directive and DIRIDS.

Using the ProfileItems information documented on Microsoft's website you can only create shortcuts within the Start Menu folder structure. I have found a poorly documented technique which can be used to create shortcuts in any location using the ProfileItems directive. I haven't seen this documented anywhere and could only find a couple of examples of its usage through Google.

The undocumented feature I have uncovered is an additional name-attributes flag for the Name directive of the profile-items-section.

Syntax:

[profile-items-section]

Name=link-name[,name-attributes]

Undocumented flag:

0x00000008, dirid (FLG_PROFITEM_CSIDL)

Directs setup to create or delete a Start menu item in the location specified by dirid.

Use:

[profile-items-section]

Name=link-name, 0x00000008, dirid

Simply substitute the DIRID for the location you want the shortcut in. You can use the SUBDIR directive to place a shortcut into a sub-folder. Using the SUBDIR directive you can create a shortcut almost anywhere.

Here is an example of the above flag in use:

;Sample INF file to create a desktop shortcut to the SYSPREP.EXE file
[Version]
Signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]
ProfileItems=AUSysprepDesktopItemAdd

[AUSysprepDesktopItemAdd]
Name = "Prepare Computer for Imaging", 0x0000008, 16409
CmdLine = 24,"SYSPREP","sysprep.exe -mini -reseal -shutdown -quiet"
InfoTip = "Reseals computer before disk imaging"
WorkingDir = 24,"SYSPREP"

For anyone interested I use a similar technique to remove the shortcut from the desktop:

;Sample INF to remove desktop shortcut to the SYSPREP.EXE file.
[Version]
Signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]
DelFiles=AUSysprepDesktopItemDel

[DestinationDirs]
AUSysprepDesktopItemDel = 16409

[AUSysprepDesktopItemDel]
"Prepare Computer for Imaging.lnk"

Further Information:

INF ProfileItems Directive

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms794557.aspx

List of available DIRIDS:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=11440

How come I've not read about this undocumented feature before?

As far as I can tell I'm the first to document this particular feature. Here's how I came across this feature:

I wanted to create a shortcut on the desktop but couldn't a way to do it using the ProfileItems directive. I read the documentation for ProfileItems on the MSDN site and decided to search for additional names-attributes flags. I came across it when I did a google search for FLG_PROFITEM_CURRENTUSER. Several of the results were to a file called "setupapi.h". Looking through the setupapi.h file I discovered an undocumented ProfileItems flag, FLG_PROFITEM_CSIDL (0x00000008).

I knew that the CSIDL values were used to identify special folders so I guessed that this flag could be used to set the location for creation of the shortcut. I still didn't know how to use the flag to set the shortcut location, however after a couple of google searches I found an example of this flag in use. Following these examples I was able to quickly determine how the flag worked and successfully created shortcuts in a variety of locations.

I decided to document this technique here to assist anyone else interested in using INF files to create shortcuts for their unattended installs.