win9x system win version registry value hacking so 2k XP apps can run

i've red a forum stating that you can run 2K XP only apps. in win9x system by modifying the registry value of your windows version. Can you please teach me that heres the message:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drugwash

4 Jul 2006, 12:35 AM

Off-topic:

If you had some time to skim through all the information on the MSFN board, you'd notice that many of the '2k/XP only' applications would work absolutely fine on 9x systems. The only things that stops them from doing so is the on-purpose installer-time check, that just wouldn't allow them to install on such 9x systems.

A simple registry value (Windows Version) change would immediately clear the way.

Moreover, there are projects for upgrading the 9x systems as much as possible, to fully support many such 2k/XP applications that indeed need more than a simple fake Windows Version.

It's a wonder to have a quasi-Millenium OS with the 98SE true DOS mode, fully 32 bit icons support, LameSkin engine and Unicode support (to some extent). Unfortunately, I don't have that system anymore since that HDD crashed and I'm a bit afraid of screwing up this one, in case anything goes wrong. Nevertheless, RichEdit 5.0 works just fine, so do many other 2k/XP/2003 system files that I upgraded this

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and here's the link: http://forums.miranda-im.org/archive/index.php?t-9231.html

Edited by jerome_lagbas

• 1 month later...

Never heard of a magical registry entry that could do that. I have heard of an MSI editor that can remove version checking from a programs installation package called Orca. http://www.technipages.com/downloadview-de...MSI_Editor.html

The only problem after that is that the program (you tweaked with Orca) may use newer/changed Win API calls that 9x doesn't have.

in the

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Currentversion

add the item CurrentVersion:

and set it to either 5.0 (2k) 5.1 (xp) 5.2 (2k3)

this i think is what your talking about

Also please note that:

If you had some time to skim through all the information on the MSFN board, you'd notice that many of the '2k/XP only' applications would work absolutely fine on 9x systems.

I the appropriate context, "many" means not "all" nor "most", rather "a certain number" and there might be several added steps, specific to each application to be performed before making it work, often only partially.

So, rather than triyng to find a one-size-fits-all solution (that does not exist as far as I know), you'll probably have a higher success rate searching on the board for the specific application, and only if you cannot find anything try the methods suggested, knowing that if they don0t work it is possible that some other "tricks" might be needed before giving up.

jaclaz