Customizing the File > New menu

Idontwantspam

To create your own template of a particular filetype for the New right-click context menu:

1) Open Regedit and browse over to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.extension , where .extension is the filetype you want to add in the New menu.

2) Create a new Key called ShellNew. Under this key, create a new String Value called FileName and set its value to the name of your template file.

3) Copy your template file to C:\WINDOWS\ShellNew

It didn't work. :(

Is there something I did wrong?

^ did you create the template file and copy it to the folder? For what extension are you doing this? You can only do it for existing, registered extensions.

A .css. I killed explorer, relaunched it and still, it's not there. Then I logged off and back on. I'll see if restarting works. Yeah, I made it and put it in the folder.

Anyhow, after rooting around a bit, I realized that this can be done (supposedly) from TweakUI, the power toy. When I tried, it sorta-kinda worked. It got rid of the ones I wanted gone, but adding this CSS doc didn't work. I haven't tried with anything else - yet. Here's what it looks like, in case you wanted to know anyone. Oh, and log in as an Admin to do this.

Edited by Idontwantspam

This will add to the addto menu a new ccs template

Save As AddCss.vbs

Dim Act : Set Act = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
'/-> Add New Css File
Act.RegWrite "HKCR\.css\ShellNew\FileName","template.css"

Css.jpg

Edited by gunsmokingman

OK, I copied and pasted to notepad, saved as a .vbs file, opened it and rebooted. No CSS in the menu. However, when I open TweakUI, it still shows New Cascading Style Sheet Document as one of the options. Not sure why this is...

This is a screenshot of what the registry currently says:

Template.css IS saved in C:\WINDOWS\SHELLNEW. Any clues, anyone?

OK, I copied and pasted to notepad, saved as a .vbs file, opened it and rebooted. No CSS in the menu. However, when I open TweakUI, it still shows New Cascading Style Sheet Document as one of the options. Not sure why this is...

This is a screenshot of what the registry currently says:

Template.css IS saved in C:\WINDOWS\SHELLNEW. Any clues, anyone?

All I did was refresh the desktop and it was there.

Try to refreshen the desktop to see if that helps.

When I did it, I went to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.css and made string value with the name FileName and the value template.css. Then, I put template.css in C:/WINDOWS/SHELLNEW. That didn't work, so I changed the said value to the complete path - C:/WINDOWS/SHELLNEW/template.css. Then, I found out about doing it in TweakUI. I did it there, and it put the registry to saying template.css again. It still has not shown up. lost_packet, I already said I tried TwakUI, but thanks anyway. It didn't work, either.