Imagex

Help,

I have a problem with ImageX. I have used WDS to deploy a image to a machine fine but I now want to capture the image and deploy to other machines.

From what I can see in the OPK info you can capture a image with ImageX and then just apply it with imgageX inot another machine.

So far I have:

Captured the image: Imagex /capture c: \\network\image.wim "myimage"

On the second machine:

Diskpart

select disk 0

create partition primary

assin letter c:

format fs:ntfs quick

active

The ran imagex /apply \\netowrk\image.wim 1 c:

When I reboot I jsut get a flashing cursor when ther machine should boot as if there are no boot files. What am I doing wrong?

I have even tried bootsect.exe to re-apply the MBR but still nothing. Have I done somthing really stupid?

Robbo

shouldn't have t do that, how did you capture your image? did you capture it from a PE environment? (bartpe or winpe?) if not you probably did not capture everything in the image. recapture your image either with the drive slaved in another machine, or from a PE enivronment (prefferable)

Fizban:

I did use Winpe 2.0 bootting from WDS and captured the image but it just didn't work. I have also tried in a the normall WINPE that we use on our network this is the WINPE Built off XPSP2 cannot remeber the proper version munber.

The exact same thing I do works fine with windows XP just not Vista although I am sure I had it working on one of the Beta's fine just not on the RMT version.

Will set up another machine and try again incase there is somthing funny with the machine I used.

I don't use WDS but have created quiet a few OEM Vista Business images and have deployed them successfully on multiple systems. Here are the things that jump out in my mind:

- Is the image "generalized" (ie sysprep /generalize)? This step rips out hardware specific settings so you can pass the image to other machines with out issue.

-I run BCDedit commands before saving any image. If this step is skipped in my process, I would get boot errors after the image was applied to other machines besides the machine it was originally captured from.

BCDEDIT /set {bootmgr} device boot

BCDEDIT /set {default} device boot

BCDEDIT /set {default} osdevice boot

-Use WinPE2.0 for everything to include XPSP2.

Shawn