MPC for playing browser embedded video's

Jeronimo

I tried removing WMP and keeping the codecs, but wanted to see how the video's embedded in the browser would play with Media Player Classic. I used the following guide: Full Step-By-Step Guide: Embedded Windows Media in Firefox

After that I needed to install the Media Player connectivity plugin and then the "stream" (WMV) mentioned in the section to where the above link points did not open properly. Disregarding the fact it opened outside the browser, I got an missing codec message in MPC. However I checked in vLite that codecs should remain present. I tried with ffdshow (19-03-2007), but still the media did not open. After installing Windows Media Lite 2.4.0 I got video, but sound is still missing (on audio codecs I still get an error in MPC, but after that it plays).

So I got the issue that I would like to drop WMP and have the same functionality (embedded prefereably) with MPC. This is just functionaly, if a WMV-file opens up if I have WMP (vLite'd Vista with 0.9) then I would expect it also to open with another player (vLite'd Vista with 0.95, WMP removed, codecs kept).

You should compare that with the full Vista but I know it can be a hassle if you need to do it on the real machine. On the other hand if you know how to test that virtually it would be great.

Once you find that full Vista has no issue with it (without Windows Media Lite) provide me with any link on which I can test that and I'll try to fix (keep what's removed with WMP and should have been in the codecs).

I can do an additional test with 0.95 with WMP kept. With 0.9 I have no issues, also I have an additioanl partition for testing, so it is not that much more work compared with a virtual installation.

Oh so you say with 0.9 where WMP wasn't removed same scenario didn't require Windows Media Lite?

In that case just post any link with the video on which you saw that issue and tell me in short how to test it. Thx.

Tried now with another video (other website bandwith was exceeded for the day) so not a complete comparison (vista 0.95, WMP and Codecs kept):

WMV Video Applet Test

Both Firefox and Internet Explorer show properly (WMP), but MPC does not handle the video properly.

http://www.pubclub.com/happyhour/imagesadd/pubclub_lb_2005.wmv::Raw Audio 0
WMAudio Decoder DMO::out0
ACM Wrapper::Output

Video is shown, but no audio.

Under Vista handled by vLite 0.9 the video plays properly with sound. Have I selected some option to remove ACM or PCM audio codecs or are they removed somehow in vLite 0.95?

Edited by Jeronimo

I now tried with the Link from the Mozilla article and it plays in Windows vLite 0.9 properly. Maybe too much is removed when selecting WMP under 0.95? Anyone else has this too?

here the direct link too the other video and attached my preset used under vLite 0.95.

Edited by Jeronimo

Off course.

Information MPC shows when it does play in Vista vLite'd 0.9:

Audio: Windows Media Audio 8000Hz mono 8Kbps [Raw Audio 0]
Video: Windows Media Video 9 160x120 15.00fps 30Kbps [Raw Video 1]

In XP I knew under Audio in configuration screen you could see the installed codecs, but under Vista I do not know if and where I can see this.

Come to think of it, this is quite a "poluted" installation. I have installed codecs in the past (all sorts) and all have been removed for sure, but how strict those uninstaller do their job, that I do not know. Maybe a codec is left behind, which causes it to be allowed to play. However I doubt this is the case. Just a point of notice though.

Edited by Jeronimo