AIM/MSN messengers compatible with IE-free Win95

BenoitRen

There don't seem to be a lot of them. :(

• The last AIM version for Win95 works fine. I have problems with sending/receiving files and the IM images function, though, but it may be because of my router.
  • aMSN works fine, except for the feature that allows you to check your e-mail in your web browser in one click. However, it's really slow to start up. Once it's started, it's not so bad, but still not fluid.
  • GAIM is in bed with the GTK+ package. Using the last GTK+ package that you can install on Win95, you can run GAIM 0.73 (or maybe up to 0.78, I forget), but it has a serious memory leak problem of sorts, rendering your system unstable. I wonder if the last Win98-compatible GTK+ package would work if I circumvented the OS check.
  • Miranda IM depends on IE, sort of. Specifically, the SSL library settings. I wonder if I could hack them in. Also depends on RICHED20.DLL, for some reason.

I haven't tried Trillian, because it's commercial with a free version, and because I fear it will install cruft in my registry and the Windows directory.

Any AIM/MSN messengers I forgot? Suggestions?

• 3 months later...

I hope no one minds me bumping this up, but I have a few additional comments and suggestions:

AIM 4.8 works fine, and it's what I use myself. Given how AIM Triton has performance and functionality flaws and bundles known spyware programs by default, I'd personally prefer this version even if I used Windows XP.

TerraIM is small, works well on Windows 95 without IE, and even works on NT 3.51 for that matter. I'm not that fond of its hard-coded black interface, though, and AIM 4.8 seems more functional.

Trillian worked as of the last time I tried using it three or so years ago. I don't know if the newer versions work, however, and I wasn't all that fond of the older ones, either: It insisted on re-inventing all its UI controls, and there were a few minor visual bugs.

Dunno about others, but regarding Miranda IM you could try installing the OpenSSL libraries from here. The Rich Edit may be needed by the message window; more information could be found by profiling miranda32.exe in Dependency Walker. You could search MDGx' site for a Win95-compatible version of riched20.dll and toss it to the %system% folder.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind anyone bumping this topic. :)

Dunno about others, but regarding Miranda IM you could try installing the OpenSSL libraries from here.

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

The Rich Edit may be needed by the message window

That's what I thought, and I indeed found a compatible DLL at MDGx' site.

For my MSN needs, I've revived the msnmsgr project at MozDev a couple months ago. Shameless plug, heh, but it's an alternative if you use SeaMonkey (and soon also for Firefox).

I don't mind anyone bumping this topic. :)
Dunno about others, but regarding Miranda IM you could try installing the OpenSSL libraries from here.

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

The Rich Edit may be needed by the message window

That's what I thought, and I indeed found a compatible DLL at MDGx' site.

For my MSN needs, I've revived the msnmsgr project at MozDev a couple months ago. Shameless plug, heh, but it's an alternative if you use SeaMonkey (and soon also for Firefox).

I would use Trillian it dont add nothing to registry.

sorry edited it dont work in windows 95

Microsoft Windows 98, 2000, ME, Windows XP or Windows Vista

64MB of RAM

30MB Hard Drive Space

Internet Connection

Edited by urie