KB900325

johndoe74

hi tommyp/tomcat. regarding KB900325, is there any particular reason why you would recommend not extracting it ? see, what i've done is extracted the thing and included the hotfixes within to the HF folder, while KB900325 itself (the extracted one) goes into HFGUIRUNONCE. The reason behind all this is that all but one of the hotfixes inside it are obsolete having been replaced by one patch or another. the only exception is KB895961 which updates termsrv.dll which I've put inside HF and discarded the rest.

Also, i've extracted and repacked 925766 so that it reboots the machine once installed from HFGUIRUNONCE (since a reboot is required anyways). I've numbered the two hotfixes so that 900325 gets installed first followed by 925766 followed by mandatory auto-reboot

Edited by johndoe74

It is recommended not to extract anything because if I need to explain which hotfix goes where and which is obsolete in which case it would make things too complicated for the average user. Also, executables in HFGUIRUNONCE are installed without switches from HFSLPGUI.CMD so it wouldn't be a silent run; they need the /quiet /norestart /n switches.

If you insist on doing it manually....

* KB900325.exe goes in HFGUIRUNONCE

* the Media10 hotfix goes in HF but is only applicable to WMP10 (XP MCE without upgrade to WMP11 or regular XP with upgrade to WMP10)

* wmfdist95.exe goes in HF but does not apply to WMP11

* KB888795 goes in HF but KB912024 supersedes it

* the rest of the files contained in the main KB900325 package goes in HF

Also, be sure you know what you're doing changing the reboot properties of the last MCE hotfix. The MCE updates are installed through HFSLPGUI.CMD at an early stage of first GUI logon, and other (internal) Windows setup components follow after that. This is the reason why HFSLIP doesn't include an auto-reboot mechanism.

Edited by Tomcat76

oh yeah i forgot to mention, the 900325 that i put in HF is repacked as well to install silently and not restart. this is working fine for me so far. i feel i might even be saving a bit of time this way as hfslip doesn't have to go through the obsolete patches inside 900325 when the newer stuff is already present in HF.

anyways, i've been running into a new problem now. one of those IE7 patches is messing up MMC which keeps crashing on me everytime i open it with an ieframe.dll error. dunno what that's all about. anyone else mentioned that to you ?

opening services.mmc brings up the screen shown in mmc1.jpg.

clicking on "To see what data this error report contains" brings up the screen from mmc2.jpg

Edited by johndoe74

oh yeah i forgot to mention, the 900325 that i put in HF is repacked as well to install silently and not restart. this is working fine for me so far. i feel i might even be saving a bit of time this way as hfslip doesn't have to go through the obsolete patches inside 900325 when the newer stuff is already present in HF.
A few milliseconds... :)
anyways, i've been running into a new problem now. one of those IE7 patches is messing up MMC which keeps crashing on me everytime i open it with an ieframe.dll error. dunno what that's all about. anyone else mentioned that to you ?
No; you're the first. I think I read about this on some site recently but I may be wrong. I'll have a look into it.

i was wondering since xpize does modify a few IE7 files, when slipstreaming both IE7 and xpize via HFSLIP, does xpize modify the IE7 files that have been repackaged by HFSLIP ? if it does, is it possible that could be causing the error? i'm thinking of giving it a shot with both the final 4.6 release version of xpize and without to see if there's any difference

XPize modifies IE files or IE7 files?

Either way... HFSLIP slipstreams IE7 first, then the hotfixes, and then XPize. If XPize changes ieframe.dll but the mod is only compatible with IE6 then I can only conclude XPize is not compatible with an IE7 slipstreamed source.

yes xpize does modify IE7 files, i just checked. if you'll load up the new final version 4.6 and start the installation (you don't have to completely install the program, just start it, then check filenames and cancel if you want), IE7 patching is disabled by default (also mentioned on the xpize site) but the IE7 files that xpize does modify are browseui, hmmapi, ieframe, ieaksie, iernonce, mshtml, occache, shdocvw, shlwapi, url, urlmon, iexplore, and inetcpl (file extensions not listed but i think it's a mixed collection of DLLs and EXEs seeing the filenames) but my question basically was, does xpize modify those files that are in the HFSLIP repackaged IE7 source ?

Edited by johndoe74

I'd have to test that to be sure.

Meanwhile, I have already checked my VM test installs of Windows XP (without XPize) and the *.msc programs open as intended when called from the Run box. So whatever problem you are having now, it cannot be attributed to IE7 this time, hehe. :)

i've been playing around over the weekend and here's some of my findings. the problem basically has to do with IE7 and its patches, that much is obvious. xpize has nothing whatsoever to do with this. now here's where hfslip comes in. I slipstream IE7+patches and the problem pops up. I SVCPACK IE7 and the problem disappears, so does IE7 itself, i.e., hfslip makes the installer but it doesn't get installed at T13. so I make a copy of the IE7 installer that hfslip makes and I install it manually once Windows setup is done, reboot machine and IE7 is there but the problem is not. so my guess is something in the slipstreaming of IE7 is screwing things up for me here...

Edited by johndoe74

I did those checks on VM installs that had IE7 slipstreamed. So I don't really know what to say. You tried slipstreaming IE7 without slipstreaming XPize? What if you leave out the IE7 hotfixes?

BTW... A T-13 install only works with installation sources that are pre-activated or don't require activation.

yeah i totally eliminated xpize in, then ie7 and all patches, didn't try it with just IE7 but without patches tho. should I ? i'm installing a fresh build right now (SVCPACK again). I don't really have any more time today to do another build with just IE7 without patches but will keep you updated as I do 'em over the next week.

hey guys ... i just like to comment on this one regarding xpize (as both tc & tp know that i slipstream xpize) ... ie7 & wmp11 works with xpize (i've tried it with 4.6 and the latest ver 4.7) ... i'm using volume-licensed XP Pro SP2 ;)