Help me install 98SE on a new PC

douche

The "first Win98 SE then Windows XP" thingie is because Win9x deletes the XP boot loader from the MBR, this is the only reason for that order. Anyways, it can be fixed by using the recovery console option which appears when booting the XP install CD. Or you could use any other boot manager.

To remove the primary and secondary controllers, delete the CHILDxxx registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\MF\

Finally, SUCCESS. The problem was NOT the IDE cable, connector, DVD burner, the motherboard, or anything hardware related. Nor was the problem the Hard Disk controller drivers by themselves. The problem was the Hard Disk Controller drivers SETTINGS. Originally, 98SE detected the following under 'Hard Disk Controllers':

2x Primary IDE Controller (SINGLE fifo)

2x Secondary IDE Controller (SINGLE fifo)

2x Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller

First off, the motherboard has ONE IDE channel for a MAX of TWO devices. This is the Primary IDE connector, right? So, why does 98SE detect a Secondary IDE Controller much less a second "Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller", then? Second, so 98SE thinks i can have a MAX of 8 devices connected to my motherboard :whistle: Or is one of them for the SATA controller? Anyways, in Safe Mode for BOTH the 'Standard Dual PCI IDE Controllers' i went under Settings tab-->'Dual IDE Channel Settings'--> I set the FIRST one listed to "Only Primary IDE Channel Enabled" and the SECOND one listed to "Only SECONDARY IDE Channel Enabled" After rebooting, Voila! 98SE finished in a breeze at long last. Now, the following appears under 'Hard Disk Controllers':

Primary IDE Controller (SINGLE fifo)

Secondary IDE Controller (SINGLE fifo)

2x Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller

As you can see, the other two Primary & Secondary IDE controllers are GONE. However, the DVD burner is NOT detected at all :angry:. Also, when i enabled my SATA drive via BIOS, the 'Primary IDE Controller (SINGLE fifo)' gets a yellow excalmation point after it under Device Manger. Why does this happen?