Testing - Easiest way to Test

martin26uk

Hi, whats the best way to test if an application installs correctly ? Currently im having to create my iso and open it in Virtual PC and let that install windows on the Ram disk. This takes all in all approx an hour until i find out if the app i've added works. Just wondered if there was a better way or not ? :unsure:

my path:

i have a 2 hdd and 4 partitions

1- system disk(mother system)

2- 2nd system( for trying and another experimental studies)

3-4 storage

my winnt.sif:

[Data]

AutoPartition=0 :rolleyes: ( i choice experimental hdd-)

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

and install the unatt.dvd (winxp+msoffice2003 and my programs)

approximatly 40 min or 1 hour :unsure::unsure::wacko:

I use a testbed machine (1 HDD, two partitions) and keep an Acronis image of a fresh Windows install on the D: partition. When I want to test an app install routine, I image back to C: and then install the app using WPI. The imaging operation takes a few minutes, and I can test the app install either alone or in combination with other apps, adjusting the ordering and timing along the way. WPI RULES!

• 2 weeks later...

i test the programs on my main computer, as it is the fastest i have and the one i use the most. when new versions come out i just install the program and then try the new one along with old registry settings to see if they are still working. this way i don't have to install winxp just to test programs.

now that i have been using unattended methods for a long time i just add new programs and settings to RunOnceEx and once in a while when i have to format my laptop i test the whole uaDVD on it.

of course, i have real time backups of my stuff in case anything goes wrong with some program but i didn't have to format or reinstall xp because of a faulty program test. never.

Edited by elajua