How Windows Update detects hotfixes

Hi guys.

I need technical and comprehensive information about how Windows Update detects installed hotfixes and checks for correct file versions.

I need to do a self-check in my nLited CD install. I must ensure that *ALL* file versions are properly updated. I'm talking about 90+ hotfixes, therefore it is a very hard work. If Windows Update does not show an specific update, can I say that this update is correctly installed (*all file versions*)?. If I downgrade a file corresponding to a hotfix, will WU say that this update is NOT installed? Does WU check for ALL files of a hotfix or only for *key* files?

Another problem is I have integrated non-critical & non-recommended hotfixes that they're not recognised by WU. How can I do a sanity-check for these hotfixes without WU? Do QFECheck or MBSA will do this?

Thanks in advance :)

PD: I need the above because I have *modified* the INF files created by nLite for "experimental" purposes...

Edited by ponghy

Don't rely on Windows Update to tell you that all your patches are installed properly. Instead use the QFECHECK.EXE utility and the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer

QFECHeck.exe will do a check to verify within your system what hotfixes are installed properly.

MSBA will go out and pick up update information off of Microsoft's website, and let you know if there are any vulnerabilities you need to worry about.

You can also run the MSBA utility from a command line for more detail information.

No one responded to my post, Check it out.

Oh and I only read the first 4 lines of your post.

Edited by Sinistrality

Thanks for your answers :)

prathapml: I know that pack, and I know nLite does an excellent work integrating updates. The purpose of my post is only 'experimental'. I'm trying to 'decipher' the copy directives of TXTSETUP.SIF following the superb Gosh tutorial.

I have been doing some tests with fresh installs and upgrades, and in upgrades, some files are not overwritten by newer versions (I understand the upgrade and new install code, but I want to perform a double-check).

Thanks again for your help ;)

Edited by ponghy

I do not know if this will help but it will list the updates that not installed on the local machine.

Save As KbToAdd.vbs

Dim Act   : Set Act = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
Dim Fso : Set Fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim KbRpt : KbRpt = Act.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%UserProfile%\Desktop\UpdateReport.txt")
'/->
Dim UpDateSearcher,UpDateSession,SearchResult
Set UpDateSession = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Session")
Set UpDateSearcher = UpDateSession.CreateUpDateSearcher()
Set SearchResult = UpDateSearcher.Search("IsInstalled=0 and Type='Software'")
'/->
Dim Line1, TS
Line1 = Space(3) & chr(171) & " ----------------------------------- " & Chr(187)
Set TS = Fso.CreateTextFile(KbRpt)
TS.WriteLine Space(3) & "List Of Updates For This Machine" & vbCrLf & Line1 & vbCrLf
'/->
Dim Cnt, I,Update, Rpt
'/->
For I = 0 To SearchResult.Updates.Count-1
Set update = SearchResult.Updates.Item(I)
Cnt = Cnt + 1
If Cnt > 9 Then
Cnt = Cnt
Rpt = Rpt & Space(2) & Cnt & " > " & Update.Title & vbCrLf
ElseIf Cnt = 9 Then
Cnt = "0" & Cnt
ElseIf Cnt < 9 Then
Cnt = "0" & Cnt
End If
Next
'/-> If No Updates Are Found
If SearchResult.Updates.Count = 0 Then
Act.Popup "There Are No Applicable Updates Found.",0,"No Updates",4128
WScript.Quit
End If
'/->
TS.WriteLine Rpt
TS.Close()
'/->
Set I = Fso.GetFile(KbRpt)
Act.Run("Notepad.exe " & I.Path),1,True
Dim ZZ1 : ZZ1 = Act.Popup("Did You Want To Keep The Update Report",0,"Keep Or Delete",4132)
If ZZ1 = 7 Then I.Delete() End If

Edited by gunsmokingman