spoof media player version?

ldb

I am using an old version of windows media player (WMP) 6.4 and have added the codec package that lets me play WMP 9 files. I have no desise to install WMP 9 and subject my computer to more bloat and possible problems I have heard associated with this install. My problem is that now some websites actually check to see what app you are going to use to view the video file and refuse to send it if they detect what they think is inadequate software. I am seeing this more and more and even though I can probably play the file with no problems, it is blocked from downloading. Is there any way to spoof what version of media player you have so you can get the download.

thanks

Do you use IE? Is WMP allowed to connect the net (options, firewall)?

I'm asking you since with Firefox and WMP 6.4 not allowed to connect, I've never seen such messages while watching videos online...

You do not get any message at this particular site that indicates a block. All you get is Cannot open. Please verify that the path and filename are correct and try again.

I also have gotten "unexpected failure" and "class not registered" but

the above is what I get most often.

I have even had a yahoo linked site tell me to upgrade my OS.

I know I can play these because someone else using a program called URLSnooper and played the video from that urls it found fine.

I have mplayer2 as a trusted app in my firewall config.

If you use firefox, you don't need to allow WMP throught your firewall to watch videos.

I'm thinking the site you're visiting can only check if you allow it to connect / if you use IE that reveals almost everything about your computer.

Anyway, I looked in my registry and I found WMP entries in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer].

There's a SetupVersion "6.4", a PlayerVersion "6,4,9,1125" that you could try to modify to spoof the WMP. Check on somebody that has WMP 9.

Well there is no problems with Windows Media Player 9. If like me, you don't like the player itself, just reassociate your files with another player such as maybe Media Player 6.4 through its options dialog.

The thing is you need to install it if you want to play most on-line wmv content. That's why I just did install it myself.