Missing \WINDOWS\system32\c_437.nls

tubui

Ok, I have a huge problem. My brother installed some program on his Dell Latitude laptop and now whenever he boots up the laptop it says. windows\system32\c_437.nls is missing.

I tried to boot up the Windows Xp to see if I can repair the file, it came up a BSOD..

This laptop uses SP2. If theres anymore infomatiion I can give, please let me know. Please help me out!

If you have another PC nearby, take the HDD out of the PC and install it as a Slave drive in the other one, boot up and copy over the missing file.

If you have a Windows XP Installation CD, perform a repair install.

If you have any bootable media with a file manager, recovery software and Internet access such as a Linux distro, Winternals Admin Pak 5, Reatogo Builder or BartPE, boot to it and try to recover the file or obtain it from some place and transfer it to the HDD.

Once you're back up and running, run Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D, update them and perform full system scans to remove any malware. Then install a freeware anti-virus such as Avast or AntiVir, update and perform a full system scan to remove any viruses/trojans/worms, etc.

All those files are also in the \system32\dllcache folder as well.

Just copy the file back to the system32 folder.

You could always boot up the system with a Barts PE disk or a Knoppix disk.

or, as was suggested, slave that Hd off of another PC and use windows in that PC to copy the file.

There are many ways to solve the problem. :thumbup

Me :ph34r: