Do we really need to use MS tools?

I've just started looking at creating an SOE for Windows Vista and Office 2007. For the past 3 years I have been using a bootable DVD to install Windows XP Pro and Office 2003 Pro. That was very easy to setup and has worked very well.

The way I created by current SOE DVD was to install Windows XP, Office 2003, a couple of proprietary applications, define various printers etc. I then used sysprep with a sysprep.inf file to prepare the drive for imaging. Once sysprep had done its thing I used Ghost to create a bootable DVD image of the HDD and that was that. A copy of that DVD was given to our hardware supplier and they have been supplying our PCs with everyhting all setup. All I have needed to do was join the PC to the domain. Too easy.

Having spent the last few days wading through lots of information on Vista imaging I have found that it has become a lot more complex. I see that sysprep is still used but that you have to create an unattend.xml file for it to use. No problem I thought until I found that to create that file I had to download a 992MB file to create a DVD of the WAIK. 992MB to create what is essentially a simple text file. Now that is progress. All of my reading leads me to believe that the tools have been developed with network deployment in mind. I have no intention of deploying via the network as it is done by our hardware vendor.

Where I am at right now is I have my master system setup with Windows Vista, Office 2007, our proprietary apps, printers and various other settings. I can see the sysprep program on the master PC but I believe I still need the unattend.xml file to answer the questions when future imaged PCs are booted just as sysprep.inf does for our current SOE. I fired up WSIM on my laptop and pointed it to the install.wim file off the Vista DVD. I can see how it works but how the hell do I find all the settings that I want/need to set? Do I have to go through them all to find the ones I need and hope that I got it right? It seems like there are probably hundreds of settings but in my current sysprep.inf file I only have 21 settings.

Assuming I can create the required answer file I believe I need to put it in the sysprep directory on the master PC and then run sysprep. From what I have read I am then supposed to run a few more tools to take an image of the disk and save it to a network share. I do not want to do it that way. I want to use Ghost to create a bootable DVD image of the syspreped hard disk. Ghost is so much easier as it takes care of partitioning and formatting, different size drives etc.

Am I fighting a losing battle with this? Do I have to toe the line and use all the MS tools and if I do can I end up with a single bootable DVD that can be used to the imaging? I really hope I can keep doing it the same way as I have done the current SOE.

It's 4:30pm Friday afternoon here. Thank God the weekend is upon us!!!!

Hi SydneyGuy,

Don't despair! It takes time to get into the new way of doing things. Some of it's a nightmare but it can be done.

Hope these steps are helpful - if not, then please respond.

1) The XML files can either be 1 big monolithic file which can be used with both unattended setup and sysprep, or you can split it into separate XML files (1 for unattended setups, 1 for syspreps). Different parts get processed in different phases.

2) Create your build as normal. If creating an unattended scripted build, concentrate on just those settings in the XML - ignore the sysprep settings at this time. At this time the XML is basically performing the settings of the old UNATTEND.TXT. Trying to find direct mappings can be difficult but usually can be done. If in doubt post your XML so far and state what you are trying to achieve - and keep the steps small and simple...!

3) Once you are happy with your build *then* concentrate on the sysprep settings. You can either add these to your existing XML or create a completely separate XML

4) sysprep :-). If you don't sysprep then you tend to have problems with imaging.

5) You *dont* need to use imagex. It's just an image maker/applyer. At this stage I believe you can use Ghost. I personally use imagex for my solution so I might be wrong ;-)

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for giving me some hope :-)

I'll look at it again on Monday at work. I'm not really sure what answers I am going to need as I don't know what sysprep will reset when it does it's thing. I never created an unattent.txt for my XP SOE. In my XP sysprep.inf I only set a few things and it works well. I've got lots of other settings and changes but they are all done on the master disk and stay set even after the sysprep process. Hopefully the same will be the case with Vista.

I still can't see why Microsoft had to change a very easy process that worked well into a behemoth that takes ages to understand and even longer to test and put into practice. At least I am not looking at actually doing a Vista rollout for some time so it wont matter if it takes a few weeks/months to get this sorted out.

Edited by SydneyGuy

OK I've just had another look at WSIM and I'm still having trouble working out where the things are that I need to include and what I might need to exclude. Below is a copy of my current sysprep.inf file which is all I use for my current Windows XP SOE. All I need to do is get the settings in this into a file that sysprep in Vista will use. Everything else should already be taken care of in my Master disk that I have created.

Note that I have obviously changed the ProductKey entry. I have a VLK in there so that systems do not need to be activated. I understand that wont be the case with Vista. I wonder if I can leave that field empty for Vista and just have it prompt me for the OEM kit key on first boot? Otherwise I will just have to put a key for Vista Business OEM in there and change it to the correct key on first boot or at activation time.

Anyway, if someone can help transform what is below into a file that I can put on the Master disk before running sysprep under Vista I'd really appreciate it!!!

;SetupMgrTag

[unattended]

InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

OEMDuplicatorstring="SOE 1.8"

TimeZone=255

[userData]

ProductKey=Volume Licence Key Deleted

FullName="Name"

OrgName="Name"

ComputerName=RENAME-ME

[Display]

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

Vrefresh=75

BitsPerPel=32

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=61

Dialing=Tone

AreaCode=02

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

SystemLocale=00000c09

UserLocale=00000c09

InputLocale=0c09:00000409

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[branding]

BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[Proxy]

Proxy_Enable=0

Use_Same_Proxy=0

Sorry for the delay in replying - been a little busy preparing for the imminent arrival of my first baby :-)

Ok, I *think* I have an XML that should help:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<DiskConfiguration>
<Disk>
<WillWipeDisk>false</WillWipeDisk>
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
</Disk>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
</DiskConfiguration>
<ImageInstall>
<OSImage>
<InstallTo>
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
<PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
</InstallTo>
</OSImage>
</ImageInstall>
<UserData>
<ProductKey>
</ProductKey>
<AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
</UserData>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<SetupUILanguage>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
</SetupUILanguage>
<InputLocale>en-US</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
<UILanguageFallback>en-US</UILanguageFallback>
<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<RegisteredOwner>OwnerName</RegisteredOwner>
<RegisteredOrganization>OrgName</RegisteredOrganization>
<OOBE>
<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
<ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>
<SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>
<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>
</OOBE>
<UserAccounts>
<AdministratorPassword>
<Value>bob</Value>
<PlainText>true</PlainText>
</AdministratorPassword>
</UserAccounts>
<Display>
<HorizontalResolution>1024</HorizontalResolution>
<VerticalResolution>768</VerticalResolution>
<ColorDepth>32</ColorDepth>
<RefreshRate>75</RefreshRate>
</Display>
<TimeZone>AUS Eastern Standard Time</TimeZone>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<InputLocale>0c09:00000409</InputLocale>
<UserLocale>en-AU</UserLocale>
<UILanguage>en-AU</UILanguage>
<SystemLocale>en-AU</SystemLocale>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="specialize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Identification>
<JoinWorkgroup>Workgroup</JoinWorkgroup>
</Identification>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-TapiSetup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<TapiUnattendLocation>
<CountryOrRegion>61</CountryOrRegion>
<PulseOrToneDialing>1</PulseOrToneDialing>
<AreaCode>02</AreaCode>
</TapiUnattendLocation>
</component>
</settings>
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:c:/install.wim#Windows Vista ENTERPRISE" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>

Some notes:

No product key is needed in the XML.. If this is a VL edition, it will setup fine without any key and you should then use either a KMS or MAK.

I've set the admin password to "bob"

I've possibly got some of the Australian settings wrong....

You may want to adjust some of the disk settings.

General guidance:

When converting from an unattend.txt, just enter the section/value name into the help file. At the bottom of the section it will normally tell you the are of WSIM to find the setting for inserting to the XML.

Any further questions just yell!

Cheers,

Mike

G'Day Mike,

What's this putting the birth of your child before helping people on the Internet? Jeez what is the world coming to. It's hard to get good dedicated help these days :-)

Seriously I hope all went well if the happy day has already past or that all goes well if you are still waiting. I've been there twice so I know what it is like.

Thanks for the XML data you put together for me. I'll take a look at it and see if I can work out what you are doing with it.

I'll be building my final master using an OEM kit, probably of Vista Business (I'm doing my initial testing with Technet releases). I'm not sure if it will let me install the first time without a key or not. If it will then I am sure it will prompt me for a key on first boot which would be great. I know I have to enter the key when installing Office 2007 but I found a way to remove the key info from the system after installation so that it prompts for a key when you first run any of the Office apps which is perfect.

What do I save the the above XML data file as? I see references to unattented.xml, autounattended.xml, sysprep.xml etc but which one do I use and where do I put it on my master disk before I run the sysprep command?

David.

Hi David,

Yeah, I'm selfish ;) ;) ;)

No sign of junior yet so I can pencil a quick reply!

You can save the XML file as whatever you like.

For sysprep, you call it with:

%systemroot%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:somepath\MyFile.xml

If you want to use it as part of a scripted build:

setup /tempdrive:c: /unattend:c:\myfile.xml /noreboot

Note that sysprep/setup will copy and rename the xml file into the correct area to save you any trouble.

Cheers,

Mike

I finally got around to trying the XML file that you posted above. Unfortunately all did not go well. The actual running of sysprep itself went OK and the machine shutdown as expected. It rebooted OK and started going through the "First run" phase. But it eventually failed saying "Windows could not parse or process the answer file for pass [specialize]. The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-TapiSetup]"

It then sat there for a while with just a mouse pointer on the screen and then rebooted. It then came up and said that the reboot was unexpected and Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows click OK to restart the computer and restart the installation.

That's as far as it gets. You click OK and the machine reboots but just comes back up with the same error message again.

So it looks like there is a bit of a error in the TAPI settings in the answer file and it causes it to fail completely. I'll have a look at those settings and try to work out what they should be but to get to that point again I am going to have to reinstall Windows and Office manually so I have a working system again on which to try it.

Again I have to wonder why they have made it orders of magnitude harder than sysprep under Windows XP is. With that I had my master created, syspreped and burnt to bootable DVD within about 4 hours. So far I have been at this for 3 weeks on and off!!!!