Block windows update KB931836

chilifrei64

The Time Zone update microsoft released has broken one of my applications. I am configuring a script to uninstall the update, delete the registry keys and import back the old ones(because uninstalling the update doesnt remove the registry keys). This part is done.

Now I need a way to block that update without using sus or wsus AND without manually going the Windows update site and checking the box "dont show this update again"

I already have my internal computers which gets updates from our WSUS server and declining the updates work fine for the internals. I have customers that use my application too and I cannot manage them in any way shape for form. My only hope is to script something and have them run it as a local administrator

Because of the skillset of my users, I dont want to have to walk them through anything, it needs to be entirely automated.

Everything else works.. I just need to know how to block this update using a vbs, batch, some other command line, wmi.. anything that can be automated.. even a registry hack..

Any ideas.. I just need to get this update to NOT install again after I remove it.

If it's a program from a vendor, simply contact them about a fix. You really should keep your updates.

If it were only that easy.

I was looking for a real answer. I already know what you have stated. It is not a program I wrote, it is a software package we purchased.

If you really must know, there is a fix for it but they dont distribute it for free unless you purchase their maintenance agreement, which, besides my best efforts, my company decided NOT to go with since they didn't see the necessity for it. Now I am in the process of attempting to get my budget extended by the powers to be. This is not something that just happens over night because this is going to cost 10's of thousands of dollars(which is why they felt they didnt need to renew) so i need help with a solution here.

I know how to fix the problem, I just need to know who to stop it from happening again until I can get the money to get the upgrade to stop all the nonsense I am going through now. All of the basics have been covered. I basically need help with a check box now

So seriously, I really dont want to hear "its your companies fault for not updating" or "well you should simply call them up for a fix" because I actually came out with my fix before the vendor did and I posted it on some forums and helped others out many others with it well before the vendor could.

So now that you know everything. My question is still the same. How can I disable an update without wsus, or having my users having to do anything other than click on a file and run it.

Sorry if I sound rude but I am just stressed with this issue because I have hunderds of people calling my support desk and they cant even tell me where the start button is, let alone walking then through fixing the application.

Thanks for any help in advance.

As far as I know the only way to block it would be to create a GPO hash that keeps it from installing, but it's just gonna keep trying over and over if you aren't configured for WSUS. There is no block tool for this update.