Random CD file errors testing with VPC5.2

Ok, now I really am stuck...

I have assembled all the files in to a folder called WXPVOL_EN, applied all the updates, coded all the hotfixes and apps, great..

I burn the contents of this folder with Nero as a bootable DVD, using the image recorder.. saving the iso on my HD for VirtualPC to test...

this iso seems fine when mounted and checked with CDCheck {from http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/} all files are CRC verified 100%

Run virtual PC 5.2 and grab this iso I just made...

Run CDCheck under VPC and it produces over 4000 errors of files it can't read..

when I try to access these files through the desktop of VPC I get a 'file is unreadable' error although some files are Ok and work fine...

Does anyone know what the heck is going on ?

I use a DVD as I have office and stuff install from the unattended, so I need the size.. I even thought perhaps VPC had a 4gb file limitation so I re-made a new image cut down to just over 3Gb, but I still get the same random 'file is unreadable' errors...

CDCheck reports the Win32 error that the OS is returning as error 87 : Parameter Incorrect, for all the files it find corrupt, and none of these files can be opened with VPC windows..

Please HELP !

Done that.. Thanks for your help.. :)

All went Ok..

But VPC still can't read half of the files on this new image either, it tells me the file is unreadable and says to make sure I have the disk in the specified drive...

When I try to boot VPC off this image, it boots Ok, copies initial files, but when it says 'Starting Windows' it blue screens with a

STOP : c0000221 Unknown Hard Error

\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

CDCheck still reports error 87 : Parameter Error on all files it finds a problem with.. and none of these files can be opened from within VPC...

Mounting this image on the host OS and testing it, everything reports 100% Ok.. but VPC has a real problem with it..

I'm stuck...

Can anyone else confirm this ?

Virtual PC seems to have a maximum file size limit of 2Gb on captured CD's and images !

Has anyone ever made an image bigger than 2gig and tried to use VirtualPC to test the boot process ???

As far as I'm concerned, anyone testing a DVD creation, should keep the compilation under 2GB while you are testing the boot process with Virtual PC, just add the other stuff before you burn it... otherwise you'll have problems !

If anyone else confirms this then it may be good to make mention of the file size limitation on DVD creation for use with VPC in 'The Guide'.. it could save other ppl days of head scratching trying to work out where the random file errors are comming from !

Cheers...

I had a similar problem with VPC and large iso image files ... come to think of it, they were greater than 2Gb. I would get a "hard error" on bootup of the iso image. I finally tried VMware Workstation ... no error. I kinda like the way VPC is laid out, but VMware works with 3+ Gb iso images for me.

Thanks for the reply dipan, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that's had probs..

Can any one else confirm if they have had trouble with iso images over 2GB in Virtual PC ? Or can anyone say they have NOT had a problem with images over 2GB ??

I still think if this can be confirmed that it should be mentioned in the unattended guide thingy (thats where I got the notion to do it anyways), as it does mention DVD creation.. and testing with VPC before burning.. it just doesn't warn you about the 2gig file size limit on VPC images..

I would just like to save someone else the wasted time trying to get it to work in VPC...

• 1 year later...

OK!!! I've been going nutz about this for about 6 months now ... and have finally found a solution thats been sitting right before my eyes, but I've zoned out WAY to much to realize the beauty and simplisity of it. All that you have to do is use an image mounting program (I prefer Alcohol 120) and then capture the drive letter with virtual pc.... WORKS LIKE A CHARM ON 4+ GB IMAGES!!! No more ntldr.dll errors or corrupted files of any kind. Hopefully this helps atleast someone in the future....

- Kelxin