Sliptreaming drivers into unattend setup

Hi,

I am new to making unattend setups and i did RTFM :)

But i am a bit confused.

Here is my problem.

We (my company) makes pc's and we have a few different chipsets on which we install Vista.

I would like to make one Unattend Vista DVD which has all drivers inside of it. So not only vga drivers but also chipset drivers (Intel D965 chipset, VGA, LAN, Audio etc)

During installation the setup must reconize the chipset and must install the correct driver for it's hardware device.

I read about creating a distribution share which itself will contain $oem$ folder , out of the box drivers and packages.

With XP we used to work a lot of $oem$ folder and a lot of scripts. But i read in the manual this way it not really 100% supported anymore (at least it's not Bill's favorite choice to do it..)

So should i make a folder in out of the box drivers and place the *.inf files in there?

and then?

I mean, every PC will have different hardware so the choices of the right driver must be made by Vista. I cannot simply insert each driver path to pass 1 Windows PE or auditsystem...

Can anybody tell me which is the best way to approch this problem /how to handle this situation? Where should i start?

Edited by psies

Here's my cookbook:

1) Add them to the base install.wim offline.

Mount the install.wim file to some directory on your system

imagex /mountrw install.wim 1 c:\mount

pkgmgr /o:"c:\mount;c:\mount\windows" /n:unattend.xml /l:logfile.txt

The caveat here is you need the following entry in your unattended.xml

<settings pass="offlineServicing">

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpCustomizationsNonWinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<DriverPaths>

<PathAndCredentials wcm:action="add" wcm:keyValue="2f63429a">

<Path>c:\drivers</Path>

</PathAndCredentials>

</DriverPaths>

</component>

</settings>

Set <Path> to wherever you’re storing the drivers you want injected into the install.

After this examine the logfile.txt.txt file. Near the bottom you should see something like this in between a bunch of what look like errors:

2007-02-06 12:14:03, Info CBS Pkgmgr: Install Drivers Offline Callback: SUCCESS:Added 'c:\Drivers\p4m900_15310506_vista_logo\VIAwIShld\P900LH.inf' to offline driver store at 'c:\mnt\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\p900lh.inf_9fa19d93\p900lh.inf'. (Error code (HRESULT) 0x0.)

2007-02-06 12:14:03, Info CBS Pkgmgr: Install Drivers Offline Callback: SUCCESS:Added driver 'c:\Drivers\p4m900_15310506_vista_logo\VIAwIShld\P900LH.inf' to the offline Windows image at 'c:\mnt\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\p900lh.inf_9fa19d93\p900lh.inf'. (Error code (HRESULT) 0x0.)

2007-02-06 12:14:03, Info CBS Pkgmgr: Install Drivers Offline Callback: SUCCESS:Driver package 'c:\Drivers\p4m900_15310506_vista_logo\VIAwIShld\P900LH.inf' installed! (Error code (HRESULT) 0x0.)

2007-02-06 12:14:03, Info CBS Pkgmgr: Install Drivers Offline Callback: SUCCESS:Successfully marked devices for reinstall! (Error code (HRESULT) 0x0.)

If it installed properly then unmount and commit to save. Copy your install.wim over the one in the sources dir.

imagex /unmount /commit c:\mount

You can also build the unattended so that it calls the drivers across the network, but it doesn't appear that it will call XDDM drivers. Only WDDM drivers appear to work with the network method, whereas XDDM work if you slip them into the install.wim.

Here's my cookbook:

1) Add them to the base install.wim offline.

Mount the install.wim file to some directory on your system

imagex /mountrw install.wim 1 c:\mount

pkgmgr /o:"c:\mount;c:\mount\windows" /n:unattend.xml /l:logfile.txt

The caveat here is you need the following entry in your unattended.xml

<settings pass="offlineServicing">

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpCustomizationsNonWinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<DriverPaths>

<PathAndCredentials wcm:action="add" wcm:keyValue="2f63429a">

<Path>c:\drivers</Path>

</PathAndCredentials>

</DriverPaths>

</component>

</settings>

Set <Path> to wherever you’re storing the drivers you want injected into the install.

After this examine the logfile.txt.txt file. Near the bottom you should see something like this in between a bunch of what look like errors:

2007-02-06 12:14:03, Info CBS Pkgmgr: Install Drivers Offline Callback: SUCCESS:Added 'c:\Drivers\p4m900_15310506_vista_logo\VIAwIShld\P900LH.inf' to offline driver store at 'c:\mnt\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\p900lh.inf_9fa19d93\p900lh.inf'. (Error code (HRESULT) 0x0.)

2007-02-06 12:14:03, Info CBS Pkgmgr: Install Drivers Offline Callback: SUCCESS:Added driver 'c:\Drivers\p4m900_15310506_vista_logo\VIAwIShld\P900LH.inf' to the offline Windows image at 'c:\mnt\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\p900lh.inf_9fa19d93\p900lh.inf'. (Error code (HRESULT) 0x0.)

2007-02-06 12:14:03, Info CBS Pkgmgr: Install Drivers Offline Callback: SUCCESS:Driver package 'c:\Drivers\p4m900_15310506_vista_logo\VIAwIShld\P900LH.inf' installed! (Error code (HRESULT) 0x0.)

2007-02-06 12:14:03, Info CBS Pkgmgr: Install Drivers Offline Callback: SUCCESS:Successfully marked devices for reinstall! (Error code (HRESULT) 0x0.)

If it installed properly then unmount and commit to save. Copy your install.wim over the one in the sources dir.

imagex /unmount /commit c:\mount

You can also build the unattended so that it calls the drivers across the network, but it doesn't appear that it will call XDDM drivers. Only WDDM drivers appear to work with the network method, whereas XDDM work if you slip them into the install.wim.

Hmm i believe in this case your are actually installing the drivers offline into the image.

That's not what i want to do.

I want to have 1 image that i can use on different pc's with different kind of hardware. I am going to use it for my work, i am a reseller and we have our own PC line. So each PC has different hardware.

So i want to add a lot of drivers to vista. When Vista doesn't have the appropriate driver it must search for it in that c:\drivers directory.

I have read somewhere you only have to put in all the *.inf drivers. but can i work with subdirs?

It's confusing!

You can have both. Its the same kind of config, but in the Audit phase. Just change the path to a network share or whatever. Again, the caveat is that the Audit phase won't pick up XDDM drivers. Also I've found that it will only recurse one directory beyond the share so if your share is \\server\driver and there is a video folder I've had to put all video drivers in that dir. I think you can specify multiple PathAndCredentials though.

Here's my cookbook:

Hmm i believe in this case your are actually installing the drivers offline into the image.

That's not what i want to do.

I want to have 1 image that i can use on different pc's with different kind of hardware. I am going to use it for my work, i am a reseller and we have our own PC line. So each PC has different hardware.

So i want to add a lot of drivers to vista. When Vista doesn't have the appropriate driver it must search for it in that c:\drivers directory.

I have read somewhere you only have to put in all the *.inf drivers. but can i work with subdirs?

It's confusing!

Edited by sprack