Multisession DVD burning/reading Questions

Burning multisession DVDs. What a tangled mess I've stepped into. I thought "gee, I can just keep adding to it, it's like a huge multisession CD". How foolish of me!

I've found a few threads about multisession DVD burning and I see now that DVD-ROM drives will most likely have trouble with them.

I have a LITE-ON SHW-160P6S DVD/CD writer, and a LITE-ON SHD-16P1S DVD-ROM, both with latest firmware. Nero (I have 6.6xx), of course, gives the message "additional sessions will not be read on lower than XP" if you try to write a multisession data DVD.

If I install Nero Multimounter on this machine, can the ROM drive read multisession DVDs? If I install it on my Dell Laptop with Windows 2K Pro (old Dell Inspiron), can it read them?

Or, should I use DVD+RWs? Do I have to erase the disc every time I want to add something (and re-burn the old files plus the new ones)?

Other relevant info:

XP Pro

Athlon Duo

1GB RAM

etc.

Thanks very much. This is more complicated than I thought; but then, everything remotely related to computers is more complicated than it needs to be.

Edited by Egon's Dragon