Removing Intel CPU support on AMD system gives Device Manager error.

E-66

I've installed XP Pro at least 10 times in the last week trying to figure out why I was getting an 'Unknown Device' error in Device Manager. I initially didn't think to look at 'Problem Devices' in System Information, but when I did I got this:

ACPI\AUTHENTICAMD_-_X86_FAMILY_15_MODEL_44\_0 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Of all the different combinations of nLite settings I've used for installation, the only way I've been able to avoid getting this error is to not remove Intel CPU support. Since I have an AMD CPU that just seems kind of strange to me. Why would I need Intel CPU support?

Edited by E-66

I'm experiencing the same thing.

Model Athlon 64 4000+ with device ID "ACPI\AUTHENTICAMD_-_X86_FAMILY_15_MODEL_39\_0"

Although it does'nt bother me as I never use the drivers that ship on the XP CD.

AMD have newer drivers available off of their website. Run their installer and bingo, problem solved.

You could then unpack the driver from it's installer and intergrate it in your future builds.

Or alternatively you could intergrate the CPU Driver Pack (Which only has the AMD K8 driver anyway) from driverpacks.net to work-around the problem.

Quick followup: I got the driver from AMD's website and then purposely reinstalled XP so I'd get the Device Manager error. Once I installed the driver everything was fine, no more error. Thanks a lot for pointing out a rather obvious but overlooked solution.

As you suggested, I grabbed the driver from out of the installer packaged and saved it separately. Certainly no reason for a 3 MB installer when I only need a tiny file out of it.

E-66, yup, when I had AMD I did the same and that's why I was looking at this topic as weird (but i believe it).

Did you remove the AMD drivers too or just Intel ones and you would get that error?

Just removing the Intel ones would give me that error. I'd still like to know why keeping Intel CPU support would clear up an AMD issue, but in the end I guess it doesn't matter since I've now removed support for both of them and replaced th AMD driver with the newer one from AMD's website.

Edited by E-66