How low can you go?

RaGhul

I don't have Vista yet, but as I posted in another Topic, I might get it after seeing all that's going on over here.

But most of the posts so far seem to be about fixing bugs. I mean, I'm all for that! But I'm curious to hear from someone who's had SUCCESS with this.

How low can it go?

Can you get Vista on one CD? Performance increases? Less driver problems?

Let's hear some SUCCESS STORIES!!

Edited by RaGhul

I am satisfied with VistaLite, it takes 200 MB RAM and 150 MB pagefile (screen).

I added drivers for ATI, VIA, my ethernet card with vLite and they work just fine.

Ethernet driver asks during setup, because it is unsigned, at least I have 32-bit.

My CD has 648 MB (Last Session), Vista HomeBasic's windows folder takes 2,3 GB.

So far I use Vista for almost 3 months and I have not had any windows related problems.

Most aplications work fine, some will crash, but they are not designed for Vista, so it is OK.

Talking about games, ATI has not released drivers, which would make opengl games work.

Some D3D games do not work either, because I do not have DX9 only DX10, I pray for a fix.

Overall, it would be best to wait for SP1, drivers will optimised and available, bugs will be fixed.

But, I would not want to use XP again, Vista looks reliable, smooth working, well, I really do like it.

• 3 months later...

A friend of mine downloaded Vista off of the net. It's just over 700mb. Unfortunately, it wouldn't fit on a CD, so he had to burn a DVD.

I won't get into the details (as keeping with MSFN rules), but I'm pretty sure the one he got was made with vLite. It seems alot better than regular vanilla Windows Vista overall. Still buggy, though. The main problems seem to be with graphics drivers and codecs. Also, user permissions are a big pain in the ar$e, even with UAC turned off. I have my XP computer on the same LAN, but I need a password to get to his 'Shared Documents' folder. Thing is, he never set a password!

No one has posted to this thread in months. Now that Vista has been out for a while, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had better luck?

:unsure:

I have my XP computer on the same LAN, but I need a password to get to his 'Shared Documents' folder. Thing is, he never set a password!

I had this problem when I first install Vista and still had UAC active. Without UAC there is no problem as UAC removes your current permissions from the token that is used over the network. I believe I got around it with the following reg fix:

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Do not apply UAC to remote shares etc. (Only req. if UAC is active)
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy"=dword:00000001

Edit: I'm happy with Vista (when vLited) and only use XP on my lesser machines that are used as media pcs. There are a few more components I would like to remove but the current removal in vLite needs attention, however, they are minor components that I don't mind leaving in for now. I'm glad that by using vLite to remove the components I do not use, I now have a fully functional Vista that is also resource friendly - ie, when the PC is doing nothing CPU is at ~0%, as it should be but never was with Vista out of the box.

UAC is a preference and I can see it's benefits on PCs with less savvy users. I tuned UAC to be less annoying but in the end I found it surplus to my requirements. My machine is behind a router and I have antivirus, I always run as admin and do not have any problems. I've known other PCs with A/V to get infected so quickly and can only put it down to their direct connection to the internet - I think being behind a router helps a lot by only forwarding traffic on unusual ports if you've explicitly defined it. I would like a decent software firewall for more control on outgoing traffic but I've had no problems with the one built in.

Jamie

Edited by jamieo