Mappings

caimbo

when user logs on, one particular drive will not map from the logon script

I can map it by IP in "my computer" but not by name.

If I log on to his machine the script maps the drive perfectly. In addition if he logs on to another machine the drive maps perfectly

wassup???

Well, if he is unable to log in and map the drive, but you are able to log in and map the drive on the same machine, it could be a host of things. You do say that he can map the drive by IP address rather than fqdn or netbios name as well, so it's not a permissions issue to the share itself per se.

Have you considered running process monitor on the machine while the user maps the drive, or configuring his logon script to output everything to a log? Even userenv logging would be good in this scenario.

We seem to be getting more people coming back from holidays or extended periods with their laptops to find that the drives wont map properly.

But the mappings work for everyone else. They worked fine before their holidays.

In the first case above the user can log on to the drives on another PC with his network profile, just cant do it on his own whereas I or any other network user could map the drives on his machine. This makes me think its not DNS related

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, capture the traffic on the network using ethereal from www.ethereal.com

You can filter the client IP in ethereal to see what's happening on the wire.. to see if it's a DNS Issue.

And you can activate Userenv logging to get a better view of what's going on when the user logs on.

221833 How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;221833

// Joseph