remote desktop into vista business from linux

toda

I have gone to the Control Panel -> System -> remote settings -> remote tab and allowed connections from computers running any version of rdesktop. I restarted and noted the changes are persistent.

I have checked the firewall settings and ensured remote desktop connections are allowed to pass through on my private (as opposed to public) network

When using the application tsclient in ubuntu, or Terminal Server Client for short and I enter the IP address of the computer. I select the Protocol RDP (as opposed to RDPv5, and VNC), try connecting, and my connection is refused.

Normally I would take steps to diagnose the problem by logging into localhost on the vista machine to test the service is actually running but vista in its security measures does not allow this. Is there a way to eliminate some variables in determining the root of the issue.

I know vista uses RDPv6 but by specifying that computers can connect using any type of connection is supposed to head that compability issue off correct?

Thanks for the help

John