I need help! DNS / Active Directory

CiP

Hello everyone,

I am having major problems with DNS and Active Directory on my client PCs with XP Pro and my server Windows Server 2003. This is getting so aggravating. I feel I am getting close to the solution, but as of yet, I still get Userenv and Autoenrollment errors in my Event Viewer. I have to shut down Windows Time in services due to W32Time errors.

Here is my network set up:

1 Linksys Router running as a Gateway and using my cable company as my internet provider. DHCP disabled. IP scheme is the same I am using on my domain.

1 Windows Server 2003 set up as a domain with the domain name as Example: (mycompany.local). When I set it up originally, I only used ex. mycompany and the .local was added for DNS purposes I assume. I use a static IP of 192.168.1.100 with the sub-net mask 255.255.255.0. My default gateway is 192.168.1.1 same as the Default Gateway of my Linksys router. And the DNS's are what my ISP provides. There are 2. Should I be putting another DNS here???? It seems like my domain does not like my IPS's DNS's.

6 PC's running XP Pro on static IP addresses connecting to the domain server. I use the same DNS's as on the server and router. Default Gateway is the 192.168.1.1. I have internet access on all PC's no problem. For some reason, I get the Userenv and Autoenrollment errors in my Event Viewer when logging in to the server domain. I also get NETLOGON errors. It also takes a quite long time to log into the server. When I log in from a client PC into its local domain (same name as the PC, not the domain) I log on in 3 seconds, yet I still have access to the server domain and files. Actually the PC's run better connecting this way. I want each PC to log into the domain though, but these problems are getting ridiculous! :)

Can anyone please help? If you need more info on my configuration, please ask.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

Cip :/

• 5 years later...

I know this topic is old, but I wanted to confirm that un4given1's advice is correct. I was getting the same errors in addition to a 1054 and various W32Time errors. The workstation *kinda* joined the domain but then couldn't find the Domain Controller. Thought for sure it was due to nLite removing a required service or component. But no...I just forgot to set the DNS correctly :blushing:

EULA trolls: I run a domain at home for research purposes.