I have Dell C521 and am having trouble with adding extra ram and playi

jca2007

I got a new Dell C521 and it came with a bunch of crap pre-loaded on to it, so I re-formatted with my WMCE 2K5 rollup 2 cd, with an extra 1gb ram stick pc4200 I bought myself and added to it, well I couldn't get windows to install with it. So I finally figured out that It would only let me Install WIndows with the ram that came with it. Then When I re-installed windows with the 2 512mb pc4200 sticks, it worked. Then I installed a few games to see if they would work Star Wars Battle Front 1&2, and also Joint Ops Combined Arms, neither of those would install, ketp giving me an error message saying files were corrupted or disk was corrupted. Which are all brand new cd's. WTF?

So I took the extra ram out I had bought for it, and it let me install the Joint Ops game. Well I was playing online to test it out. After it work, I put the extra ram back in, and when I play it, it closes out and gives me an error message saying something like sysdump.txt or systxt.dump or something and ok is the only option.

Im guessing it's the ram it's not wanting to take because I know dell works with dual channel mode meaning 2 sticks of same kind in each two slots. So Is there a way to disable this or do I have to buy another gig to have a matching pair in the other slot? I have 2 512's in first two slots, and a 1gb stick in the other slot. I actually did buy an extra gig anyways. So that will be three total, but I was wondering until it got here can I disable an option in bios to let me use the 1gb with out dual channel right now?

I checked the bios but I only see an option called Memory Protection Technology, execute or not execute. I didn't know if that was it or not. If I should Disable that or not.

Check your new stick with memtest. I bet it's faulty...

http://tinyurl.com/3xat6w there's a link to the error I get, it's a transfer catastrophic error.

also, I took the ram out and it works now. I think because I don't have 2 1gb sticks of ram it doesn't work as dual channel, so that's what's screwing it up, and when my other 1gb stick arrives i'll try both and see if it works. If not then im stuck with faulty ram, that memtest said my computer wasn't properly configured for the amount of ram i had, and told me to go to the site, but it didn't help me fix the problem.

Take out the 2 sticks that you had and leave ONLY the new stick. Run memtest.

I did that and get 54 errors of the same thing just a different number, here's the error im getting:

Memory error detected! Pair 66089263 does not store values correctly.

Memtest has detected that your computer cannot accurately store data in ram. You need to fix this.

I did that and get 54 errors of the same thing just a different number, here's the error im getting:

Memtest has detected that your computer cannot accurately store data in ram. You need to fix this.

I hope your new stick is still under warranty. Take it back at once and ask for replacement because it is faulty.

I hope your new stick is still under warranty. Take it back at once and ask for replacement because it is faulty.

I had already bought it once, and it was faulty, I got a replacement on it, and this one is faulty. It's a Kingston. But thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Edited by jca2007