Somewhat different style VPN...

Zxian

I've got a question that I think is a little strange... but should still be doable. The basis for this question is the way that my university's VPN network is setup. I can log into the university VPN from anywhere (not just on campus), and all my traffic is tunnelled through UBC (University of British Columbia).

So what I'd like is this - a computer at home running Server 2003 that I can tunnel to, but still allows internet access. So the traffic goes from me (somewhere) to it (at home) to the internet. I've been able to setup a VPN, but when I connect, I have no internet connectivity.

Anyone have any guides or links on how to do this? All the things I found (setup VPN as router, etc) required an "inside NIC" and an "outside NIC", but I've got one... and only on real access point. I guess I could get a second, and use two NICs hooked up to the same router, but that seems a bit silly... :P

Well, one quick answer is that you could get something like this:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper

They have an 8- and 16-port model (although they're only 10/100) if 4 ports isn't enough.

We've used those to connect remote offices to each other using a permanent tunnel between two (or more) of the devices.

when you connect to your VPN you effectively cut yourself off from the internet and join what ever intranet that you have connected to. If that intranet allows internet access through its VPN connections you should still be able to get out to the web, but it would be through the Intranet you connected rather then your home connection

@nmX.Memnoch - I'd rather just do it with a computer. It's a temporary situation, so the investment isn't necessary. Thanks for the info though.

@fizban - Maybe I'm asking the wrong kind of question here then... I'd like to use my server at home as a "remote router" if you will. Something that I can log into from the web, and all my traffic is tunneled through it. A kind of encrypted proxy if you will.