Networked 98 box won't shut down...

DeadDude

Howdy! I got a stickler of a problem... one of my clients (the same one that keeps me comming back here), has a small network of 5 towers...

One is the 'server' for all the apps and whatnot, and another is the 'print server'. Problem is, no matter how I power up/down the machines... or whether we even PRINT something... The 'print server' won't shutdown... It gets *real* close, but not 'off'. I don't care about it, but my client wants it fixed.

Sooo...

I moved the printer to another machine (the only original box left in the shop), and set all the pcs to print to it... No more problems...

EXCEPT-

The printer compains about the ink cartridges.... constantly... it doesn't seem to save the settings past a reboot...

The printer driver (HP 672c??) doesn't support networking the printer directly- what I mean is the driver is buggy for a network install (it just don't werk!)... and I have scoured the net for a better version of the driver... I am already using it.

I was thinking of just replacing the printer... but I need to make **** sure that the towers will shut down properly...

I also have an issue with which tower is browsemaster... I can set the 'server' to browsemaster, but there's still times when the network forgets what PC is what... And I know it is linked to this browsemaster thing because all the problems with the network directly were resolved before he moved the printer to the other box... (the PC that *had* the printer then is the tower that wouldn't shutdown all the way... no other problems existed then.)

So... what settings do I have to manipulate to get these towers to stop changing the browsemaster? It seems as though having a 'master' with files, and a 'non-master' doing the printing is buggy... Should I make them BOTH a 'master'?? I think that would cause other issues...

If I buy a new printer, and it supports 98SE directly in the drivers it comes with, shouldn't the PRINTER issues go away? and if it doesn't, can't I call the printer company up for assistance?

What towers should be browsemaster(s)? I thought the server should be (it is powered up first anyway)...

Oh yeah, and the client discovered if he actually PRINTS something (from any PC to the 'print server'), the tower won't shut down... but if he opens the software he printed from again, and does NOT print, then close that app, and shutdown... it will work fine. Ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

Well, you've checked most stuff. What eslse could you try...

A problem with spool32.exe maybe? Just check you don't have WinME version installed (I've had problems with it and I think MDGx took it off from SE2ME -am I right MDGx?-)

Otherway, the only issue is the ink report function failing? Well, in that case, you can try to uninstall completely the printer (delete the registry entries, the inf and everything or try again with a new cartridge) and reinstall. Or bypass the HP program if it uses any.

What do you mean by doesn't shut down? Hangs when? This could come from something else (even nvidia drivers make that happen).

And do you use fixed IPs?

Anyway, that's weird. You CAN buy a new printer and see but if it doesn't work, don't count on assistance for 98 (especially since Vista's now out).

Well, I'll see if manually killing the spooler let's it shut off properly...

know of a way to kill a loaded process from a bat file?? or of a DOS-style command to do that in 98? I could make a fake shutdown patch for this particular PC...

Q. How does one change the Windows network Browse Master Settings on a Windows 9x/Me computer?

A. The settings for Windows 9x/Me is found at Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network, select File and Printer sharing...(not the button), Properties, Advanced, Browse Master. The available settings are Automatic, Enabled, and Disabled. The default setting is "Automatic."

You probably already knew that --- what I want to know is what is the patched state of the systems you're trying to maintain? There are both shutdown hotfixes and also ones for Printer spooling ... there's about 5 you could apply. Apply these updates first if you haven't already! Hey, even better, run the report function from Auto-Patcher on all the towers and post the results (I'm greedy for feedback aren't i?)

More good links on BrowseMaster:

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/bm.htm

http://www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm

If terminating spool32 works, I think there is a tiny "apps killer" program included in the Win98 powertoys but I can't remember for sure. Check that if you have the PToys.

You can also use Batchrun since it's free and works fine. This way you can program a script that will kill spool32 and shut down the computer. You can then put it on the desktop for your client.

I've also solved a lot of network problems in the past by using IPX/SPX instead of TCP/IP (better to be kept for internet only). But of course the change takes time and can create even more problems.