slipstream service pack 6 into Windows NT 4.0

amocanu

I think Wendy did something with this a while back...

PM her, I think she's got info about this.

Of course I need to point out that jondercik is 100% right in that NT does not support slipstreaming like 2000 and above.

Way back when, when I was installing NT a lot, I got Terminal Server. It had SP3 already integrated -- it came that way from MS. Anyway, I manually replaced loads of files with the SP5 versions (file drivers I assumed to be most important). I got BSODs... so I scaled back and back until I had replaced maybe half. Once installed, the OS was not stable until I installed SP6a and all hotfixes. I recall it took forever finding the right balance of original versus replaced files to get a version that would install without a BSOD. I would say 'don't bother trying to do this manually' with the exception of replacing file driver files. In case you were going to try this manually :blink:

i was hoping to slipstream that service pack.

Since slipstreaming is not supported i think i will install it the usual way and make a disk image with norton ghost

it is quite anoying to reinstall the service pack each time i make changes to the system

Thanks for the info

This is what I used to do in a previous life. Install NT4 on generic Intel Dell hardware, install SP6 and IE6 IEAK, any updates that were left, and then image it via ghost. Once the image was down on a new machine, ghostwalker was then run to change the SID and a script changed the machine name before booting into NT and scripting app installs.

While microsoft made a commercial decision not to provide support for slipstreaming in NT4 (it first appeared in SP2 of w2k), it is none the less possible to reduce the pain of installation of NT4 on modern hardware.

Essentially, you put *some* of the files of NT4sp6a into the base install, and then patch sp6a. What this effectively acheives is an NT4 that has every update patched in the service pack. When you follow the instructions as given in the post, you can install NT4 on modern hardware, as long as the system drive is completely in the first 8 GB. The first install should use the SP6a versions of NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM, but you can replace these with a Win2k or XP version in the actual service pack.

You can, for example install NT4 before or after any of the other versions of Windows. The only really dependant thing you have to keep an eye on is to ensure that you put SP6a on before you boot Winxp/2k, and that you end up with a boot loader from the latest version of windows you may want to use (eg win2k3 if it is in the offing).

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=82169

You can also integrate one of the early fix-packs as well, into the base install, at the same time the service pack goes on. This is useful for replacing bits of NT4 with later features from different operating systems, adding DLL files etc. For example, the cmd.exe from W2K works quite well under Windows NT4, and has an extended command set. SOL.EXE is also worth the upgrade, too. QBASIC can be upgraded to v1.1 from MS-DOS 6, as this supports the help.com command.

You can also build a source for installing extra features, which contains the latest files in an i386 directory. Doing this means that you do not have to redo the servicepack every time you change something.

"Your mouse has moved: Windows needs to reboot to update these changes"

Wendy