How to change the active partition...

Hi!

So what I want to do, is to create an unattend installation of Vista, sysprep it and then capture it into a .wim file, right? Oh, by the way, I am using BDD for that right now.... once I have my syspreped c: drive in the image format, once I wanna deploy the image to a client with only one big c: drive, I wanna shrink the drive using the diskpart command. Once I have shrunk the drive to contain a new formated partition I will have to create a new BCD store, and here is where I run into problems (BitLock seems appealing).... the diskpart operations are working smoothly (also setting the new partition as active) but I dont understand how to make use of the BcdEdit command really...

I have searched the forum, and there are some things that are intressting (gsm's *.hta and so on) but I does not solve my issue....

Anyone having the same scenario in front of them? or already solved this issue? Cause all of my xp machines are having one big c: partition and no other partitions... so when deploying the upcoming Vista reference .wim file to these clients, I wanna be able to shrink the partition once I hit full Vista... of course, there is an option to fix the drives prior to applying the .wim image but it would be nice if I could do it once I have already applied Vista...

To find out where everything is try this:

bcdedit /enum all /v

You'll find the legacy ID, Vista ID, and maybe even invalid ID's that can be cleaned up using BCEDIT.

Also:

The following command sets the specified entry as the default boot manager

entry:

bcdedit /default {9fe5c020-a391-11db-9088-806e6f6e6963} <--Use your ID from above output ***

The following command sets the legacy Windows loader (Ntldr) as the default

entry:

bcdedit /default {legacy} <-- XP,for example

Edited by vim

I dont understand if it is even possible to move the BCD store from one partition to another once u r up and running in full blown Vista? Cause I can change the current bcdentries, but I cant seem to "move" or create a "new" store that will act as the system store to another partition... If I point the entries to my new partition and set diskpart to activate that partition, once I reboot it will fail with an error stating that no BCD store found.... I tried creating that store by running both the <bootsect /nt60 d:> command and with the <bcdedit /createstore filename> but that one only creates a none system store....

Any ideas? Or if it is possible?

You can change the active disk by using diskpart...

Copy and paste the following to a batch.cmd file.

echo select disk 0			 >> %SYSTEMDRIVE%\diskpart-script.txt
echo select partition 1 >> %SYSTEMDRIVE%\diskpart-script.txt
echo active >> %SYSTEMDRIVE%\diskpart-script.txt
diskpart /s %SYSTEMDRIVE%\diskpart-script.txt

Just change "select partition" number if you want to change the active partition within a disk, or the "select disk" number to change the disk you want with the active partition.

Edited by Metzen

• 3 weeks later...

Yap, that would work for a machine that you will install the OS onto... if u already have a OS installed (vista) and forgot to create a second partition for enabling BitLocker, MS has released a tool named BdeHdCfg.exe that will do the trick for you, without having to reinstall the machine. Neet....