Beginner's info request

DeadDude

Howdy y'all.

I've felt a little ambitious, and decided to attempt a "custom-driver loaded, pre-fab, total software packages installed" Live 98SE CD or DVD.

I know the first step is actually creating a partition, installing 98SE, updating, etc...

Then I put it all on a bootable CD/DVD...

Now what?

I got an E1705 Dell laptop with **all** the bells and whistles. I got 2 gigs ram, so loading the swapfile to a ram drive isn't a problem... and creating another ram drive for system usage isn't a problem, either...

But, how the hell do I do it? Has anyone ever made a 'live' 98 cd? or a DVD? would it matter if I use a DVD?

I already know 98 doesn't do PCI-E, but I am fairly confident I can at least make it usable for DOS stuff under 98...

I have access to all the partition toolz and I can get access to almost any program neccessary... I just don't know *what* software...

BartPE is for WinXP and whatnot... so what's for 98?

I got NTFS on my hard drive, but I could rearrange for a small (SMALL <200Megs) partition, but I don't want actual Windows on it...

I got thumbdrives, and this system will boot from it. So, if I need to load a floppy to enable something, I can use that for it. I also have a built-in flash reader, and a few spare 128meg MS stick PROs... Should I try to install to that first? Or instead? I like the Knoppix format; having LOADS of apps on the DVD is awesome. And I know that I'll have to code a LOT of batch files, that's ok. I just want to be able to do it- not to mention it would help troubleshoot for others... All my boxes run a flavor of XP... although I have gotten 98 booted on my PDA *once*...

No takers, eh?

Well, I did some browsing, and found a live ReachOS cd....

anyone think I could take a stab at moving stuff around and using that as a base?

I think it might not work since ROS is XP/NT based... ideas?

Would it be better to start with a clean partition, installing 98SE with everything, installing software, and configuring ram disks... then burning the whole thing onto a DVD? Sounds like the right idea, but I don't know how to create the DVD from a virtual disk on VMWare... not to mention I can't load drivers into it this way, either....

Would the pasthrough dpmi thingy setting allow the virtual pc to see the real hardware for installing drivers? If so, I still need to figure out how to burn that virtual partition to a DVD that is bootable and usable... "live"